Friday, September 16, 2011

Winning Words 9/16/11
“Only entropy comes easy.” (Lewis Mumford) I confess that I had to look up, entropy. I chose the sociological definition, rather the one which describes why an ice cream cone drips on my hand. The degeneration of society happens when people adopt an attitude of “laissez-faire.” It’s easy to sit around and complain about the way things are. The world is looking for people to move out of their comfort zone. ;-) Jack

FROM RJP IN FLORIDA: WOW, That's a good one....................Entropy huh?////FROM JACK: For a lot of people, clicking on Google has replaced opening the dictionary. I must confess that the Webster book is on the shelf above my computer screen. Mmmmm...I see that right above "entropy" is "entrepreneur," a word that I know and like. Google doesn't show you that.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It seems to me most people are now out of the comfort zone and are looking for a new one to move in to. The degeneration of society happens when it begins to kill it's own babies, government begins to work against rather than for the people, no one is held responsible for their actions and sin is no longer sin. A little heavy perhaps, but I guess I'm getting out of my comfort zone to voice how I really feel. //// FROM JACK: It sounds as though you've been reading some of the opinions of Socrates.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: we should start an anti-entropy club!////FROM JACK: The club could start by pushing for the invention of a dripless ice cream cone.////PEPPERMINT AGAIN: this could strike the first debate. i kinda like dripping ice cream cones. mostly the observation of those learning how to keep up with the drips. one of my favorite pre-school field trips is to tastee freez, where many children are having their first cone!

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Excellent!////FROM JACK: In this time when the emphasis is on the economy, I see that you're economizing on the use of words.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Great one. I named my second year college bowling team “Entropy” It was a great bowling shirt. We were very random, in every respect.////FROM JACK: That was a clever idea. Did you save your bowling shirt, or did it just degenerate into a dustcloth?

FROM YOOPER FLICKA: SUPER////FROM JACK: Super? Above average? As in Lake Woebegon "where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average?"

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: ...what are "Wijnning" Words?? Did you mean "Wily" Words.....such as "entropy".//// FROM JACK: Sometimes the fingers go faster than the mind.

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: Tsk, tsk, as a pastor you should know the degeneration of society goes hand-in-hand with a disassociation from God, and nothing else. Follow God, build society; follow faulty human reason, entropize! As far as complaining goes, don't forget the manna and quail; it depends who you are complaining to!////FROM JACK: God created the human mind for it to be used. Sometimes good reasoning; sometimes poor. That's life. Even some "Godly" people make poor choices. God also created, "Grace."

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO: After taking thermodynamics in college, I didn't have to look it up. I remembered that we live in a world of decreasing entropy, or something like that. After all, that was over 60 years ago.////
FROM JACK: Your college professor would be proud, but entropy has probably caught up with him.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: wow. Good one. If the choice is whether to move out of my comfort zone or stay in it, I'm really, really glad for the privilege of prayer and to talk to Jesus so's I have Someone behind my back and in front of me and above me and below me and even inside of me. What's a little discomfort besides all that?////FROM JACK: Don't get too comfortable. Mark Twain said: "A reasonable amount of fleas is good for a dog." He wasn't necessarily talking about dogs.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: We also need to encourage some people to get out of the way.////FROM JACK: Oh, so you're the one who honks if I don't start fast enough when the light turns green.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: ENTROPY! I read all the definitions, and have to say, WHAT?! (Webster's New World Dictionary...) Mark Twain also said, "It is noble to teach oneself, and more noble to teach others----and a lot less trouble"! At our age, it is much easier to let others get out of their comfort zones and DO something! We have tried, but in prosperity, it is hard to "move people to action...now in stringent times, many are more receptive to try to change things, hopefully. Much unrest, anyway! Many of us made a difference during the Civil Rights challenge...that was a biggee in our era...////FROM JACK: Each generation has its "dangerous times." Time (and a judge) will only tell which are bigger.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: And unfortunately, that is exactly what is going on in America!////FROM JACK: See! Winning Words is kind of a course in current events. Do you remember how things like this would be discussed in Sociology classes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. Good one. If the choice is whether to move out of my comfort zone or stay in it, I'm really, really glad for the privilege of prayer and to talk to Jesus so's I have Someone behind my back and in front of me and above me and below me and even inside of me. What's a little discomfort besides all that?
Thanks for the WW.
S.H. in MI