Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Winning Words 9/14/11
“My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging.” (Henry Aaron) Even “the stars” have their slumps and their bad days. Babe Ruth once held the record for the most home runs and the most strike-outs If you happen to be having a “rough patch,” keep on swinging. It worked for Henry and the Babe. ;-) Jack

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Classic////FROM JACK: I saw him in person when he played for the Milwaukee Braves. At the time, I didn't think that he'd be a classic. What do I know?

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: I remember a guy with the Cubs who was really hot...played great for a month and then struck out 21 times in a row....sent down to the Minors and never reappeared in a Major League game. He might take issue with Aaron's comment...He had a fatal flaw....couldn't hit a particular pitch ....and he could have kept swinging forever and never hit anything.....////FROM JACK: I wish I knew the name of the player who struck out 21 consecutive times. I do remember Bill Nicholson of the Cubs who was nicknamed "Swish" because of his mighty swing. It seemed as though he would either strikeout or hit a homer when he came to bat. I recall that he hit four home runs in one game and once was intentionally walked with the bases loaded.////FROM JS: Bob Speake////FROM JACK: Robert Charles Speake (Spook)
Positions: Outfielder, Pinch Hitter and First Baseman
Bats: Left, Throws: Left
Height: 6' 1", Weight: 178 lb.
Born: August 22, 1930 in Springfield, MO (Age 81)
High School: Springfield (Springfield, MO)
Signed by the Chicago Cubs as an amateur free agent in 1948.
Debut: April 16, 1955
Final Game: June 8, 1959
Speake hit 10 home runs in his rookie year, and only 21 in the remaining three years of his career
I'd have thought that Spook's strikeout "record" would have been included.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: Amen and Amen there is abundant grace for us all////FROM JACK: Baseball players aren't the only ones who have slumps and need coaching.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Babe STILL holds those record for the most home runs in the fewest innings. He just didn't play as long as his so-called recoird breakers. Aluminum bats and live balls were not used in his day. So who's the best ever?////FROM JACK: The best ever: Cy Young or maybe, Eddie Gaedel.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: I just talked to my friend. She is battling AML. She has had a stem cell transplant but the blast cells are back so she may need another. She is a REAL SPORTS fan. I read her today's WW and she liked it.////FROM JACK: Thanks for sharing Henry's words with your "sports fan" friend. There's a lot more serious-swinging going on in places other than on ball fields. "It ain't over til it's over," is another quote that I like.

FROM ED IN ARIZONA: Similarly, as Dory repeated in the movie Finding Nemo: "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." I find myself repeating that line often as I try to finish my PhD.////FROM JACK: I read somewhere that distance swimmers have to "learn to cruise," and to plan their pace. Speed is not the goal.

FROM MOLINER JT: And it is working for Jim !////FROM JACK: Aaron isn't the only one who gets his picture in the newspaper and a story written about him.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN: What a gentleman Henry is . . . We spend a lot of time in the winter south of Mobile, Henry’s home town, and he is the most respected person in that metro area. Everyone holds him the highest regard. And, having cheered him on from when he came up from Eau Claire in the early 50’s, I’ll follow his admonition, and keep swinging! ////FROM JACK: Henry's Milwaukee Braves were a great and exciting team. I suppose you can name all of the players. The O Henry candy bar wasn't named after Aaron, nor was the Baby Ruth candy bar named after The Babe.

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS: Sounds a bit like my dealing with grief: "Smile and keep on going." ////FROM JACK: "Day by day, your mercies , Lord, attend me, bringing comfort to my anxious soul....Day by day, no matter what betide me, you will hold me ever in your hand."

FROM DS IN MICHIGAN: Perfect timing. I will.////FROM JACK: Batters will tell you that "timing" is what makes the swing work. I like these lines from Send In the Clowns"...."Isn't it rich? Isn't it queer, Losing my timing this late In my career? And where are the clowns? There ought to be clowns. Well, maybe next year." When that song first came out, our church organist played it as a prelude as I was walking up to the altar....Send in the clowns!

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Yep...you keep slugging, hoping you "connect"! As Confucius once wrote, "Our Greatest Glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." This, 4 or 500 BC! He who perseveres until the end... Life is full of heavy hitters, Like Hank Aaron, who are an inspiration!!////FROM JACK: I'm inspired by those two big guys, but, right now, I'm also inspired by struggling people who do their heavy hitting in the shadows. I'm sure that you know some of them.

FROM YOOPER FLICKA: SO TRUE ,,,SO TRUE !!! I WANTED TO SHARE WITH YOU, JACK......MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN IN THE VETERAN'S HOME FOR 3 YEARS THIS MONTH....WE STILL HOLD HANDS, HAVE ONE OR TWO MEALS TOGETHER......AND HE LISTENS TO OUR CHURCH SERVICES ON THE RADIO. I AM SO BLESSED ONLY 10 MINUTE DRIVE..{IF THERE IS HEAVY TRAFFIC ) AND WHEN THE DAUGHTERS COME......THE SMILES AND TIGHT HAND HOLDING...ARE SUPER....////FROM JACK: 3 years is a long time to keep swinging, but there are different kinds of swinging. I like the song, "Swinging on a Star." I also like the song, "Count Your Many Blessings."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Hank Aaron was always one of my sports "heroes". He's a class act. George Blaha of the Detroit sports scene is too. He always took some of the Pistons up the Grayling for special occasions and has been an outstanding Michigan ambassador. He's an all around nice guy. Hank's quote is a great one too as we are all fighting some battle in our lives....just keep swinging. Look at Inge! He's made a tremendous comeback. He has just kept swinging too!






No comments: