Monday, September 12, 2011

Winning Words 9/12/11
“Life is a crisis. So what!” (Malcolm Bradbury) I’m going to miss Borders. “Don’t Forget to Sing in the Lifeboats” is a book that I recently bought there. The title seems appropriate for a business in crisis. Reactions to critical life situations can be positive or negative. We can choose to cry or to sing in the lifeboat. Author Bradbury was a singer who died at age 68. His epitaph: ”Warm, Witty, Wise.” ;-) Jack

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: "Don't forget to sing in the lifeboats" dates back to the early days of sailing when there were no radios to call for help. Singing in the lifeboats was done in hope that another ship was near.//// FROM JACK: Did you "Snopes" this before you sent it out? Maybe they sang this song...
I was sinking deep in sin,
Far from the peaceful shore,
Very deeply stained within,
Sinking to rise no more;
But the Master of the sea
Heard my despairing cry,
From the waters lifted me,
Now safe am I.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It sounds like he had a good handle on life's situations. I like his epitaph...short but sweet.////FROM JACK: An epitaph on a stone next to "our plot" reads: "I'm still dancin' in heaven."

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: I too am going to miss Borders. That was my bookstore of choice. Now I have to make my way to Barnes and Nobel. Uff Da!////FROM JACK: You might check with Barnes and Nobel to see if they have the book, "Uff Da" by Cathy Martin.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I wonder if Malcolm Bradbury was related to Ray? I taught Ray Bradbury's books in my Lit. class, Science Fiction.The Martian Chronicles fascinated my Jr. highs. It's hard for me to think of ALL of life as a crisis: mine is probably much more mundane than his was, but suppose his point was no matter what earth- shaking thing is happening, in the long view, what is it going to matter?! He may have been warm, witty, and wise, but without the anchor of Faith? ( Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent?!) We sometimes do need to "lighten up" don't we? (But maybe not to the point of "So What?")////FROM JACK: Same name, but different writing genre. "So what!" seems to say that there are some things more important than "the crisis du jour."



No comments: