Monday, August 08, 2011

Winning Words 8/8/11
“You are my mirror.” (Sarah Browning) Someone recently showed me an iPad picture of herself which was distorted, like the image in a Fun House mirror. Most of us would rather have a looking glass that reflects our “true” image. A good friend is like that. In his famous poem, “To a Louse,” Bobby Burns describes how good it would be to see ourselves as others see us. Do you have a friend like that? I do. ;-) Jack


FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Just finished a book by Richard Rohr "Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life." He also says we need a true friend who will help us in our "shadow boxing". In the second half of life, we can become truly a wise elder when we deal with the shadow side of ourselves which does require truthful feedback--not to be utterly destroyed by criticism but to be built up by God and our friend's loving care. Sometimes it's a pretty humiliating experience. I actually think it's my husband who bears the brunt of this task for me. Also my daughter and faith community. Great WW again.////FROM JACK: Continuing with the "boxing" theme, the ones who help us in our quest to become better can sometimes be seen as our sparring partners. Many relationships are like that.


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Even though sometimes I don't like what my mirrors say, they are always thinking of what's best for me. They are true friends!////FROM JACK: Annie, a true friend, was Helen Keller's mirror.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Yes, I do have such a person.////FROM JACK: Is it someone I know?


FROM CWR VISITING IN MICHIGAN: ....and I'll bet it's your wife.////FROM JACK: It's not a bet when it's a sure thing.


FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: True friends love you warts and all. Because they don't see the warts a'tall.////FROM JACK: "Toadies" look for the warts, because they like them.


FROM JC IN HONG KONG: America's Fun House mirror just disintegrated; that sound of flushing that you heard yesterday was the official end of the good old days of distortion; to be replaced by the Louse-y reality of no economy whatsoever. Hopefully we can bring the troops home, shoot all the politicians and bankers instead, and re-educate the clergy to listen to God instead of .... whatever they're fantasizing about now. The famine is here. What can an optimist do? ////FROM JACK: It would be good to reread my recent Winning Words. It helps me to deal with certain BIG issues. Winning Words 7/28/11 “Don’t bite your elbows.” (Russian Proverb) Have you ever tried to bite your elbow? The proverb advises us not to get upset over things we can’t do anything about. Don’t try to control what you can’t control. I read and listen to the news, but not as much as I used to. There’s too much that I can’t control. Even in everyday living, we have to pick our battles and do that which can be done. Leave those elbows alone.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN: I have had two friends like that – but they have been called by God.////FROM JACK: "When the role is called up yonder," you'all will be able to reflect again.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just finished a book by Richard Rohr "Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life." He also says we need a true friend who will help us in our "shadow boxing". In the second half of life, we can become truly a wise elder when we deal with the shadow side of ourselves which does require truthful feedback--not to be utterly destroyed by criticism but to be built up by God and our friend's loving care. Sometimes it's a pretty humiliating experience. I actually think it's my husband who bears the brunt of this task for me. Also my daughter and faith community. Great WW again.
S.H. in MI