Friday, July 08, 2011

Winning Words 7/8/11
“All our sweetest moments fly fastest.” (Virgil) During those sweet moments of youth I went to school with a boy named, Virgil. In college I learned that Virgil was a Roman poet who lived 2100 years ago. Psalm 90 says that the days of life can be fourscore, but they are soon gone. Do you remember how slowly time passed when you were young, and how fast it moves nowadays? Which years are the sweetest? ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I'm in with a group of old people at an assisted living. Every Saturday evening we get together to worship and worship liturgically. Being younger, things were about identity. But the kind of identity stuff that actually probably was based on more insecurity than not of who I was actually being called to be. It's comforting to know that now I've got the chance to worship with a group of people not intent in being Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Jewish, Presbyterian, Episcopal, Lutheran or even Non-denominational. This experience has given me more hope for the Church and thankfulness that these old people seem to really appreciate it too. But I wonder--if we were all 40 years younger, would we so agreeably agreed to come together to worship. We're the same people, has something with regard to religious identity changed in us? Is it just necessity or is it the sweetness of God that we acquiesce in His molding of us into community? ////FROM JACK: It's an interesting thought...to look back 40 years, or even 20 years, and to see how time changes the way you look at life...what was important then and what now is almost a laugh.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: It's true, the sweet moments do pass quickly, but I find that they remain in my memory to be enjoyed time after time, whereas the unpleasant moments fade and for the most part disappear from my mind.////FROM JACK: I think that the control, for the most part, is in one's mind. There are some people who just can't seem to let go of the bad stuff and let the "good" events fade into nothingness. I came across a quote recently by David Foster. "We are who people think we are." I might change it to read, "We are who we think we are."

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: Yes, I remember how I couldn't wait to get older, and now all is too fast. Sweetest? I would have to say right now,... Our first grandchild will be delivered in a little more than 1 hour, ( she's a girl ), the anticipation and joy is unbelievable.////FROM JACK: Too fast? Our first granddaughter is now taking some college classes in London. It was only "yesterday" that we were awaiting her arrival at Beaumont. Enjoy each "sweetest" day.

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN: I try to “slow down time” and enjoy as much of it as possible. I also try not to stress(easier said than done) too much because it subtracts from my enjoyment of those fleeting days we have. ////FROM JACK: I'm glad that you seem to be making progress in creating a "time machine." Inventors have trying for years to solve that problem. I wonder if taking the battery out of my watch might help?

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: As I prepare my trip to NYC for daughter Beth's 30th birthday, I know that the sweetest time in my life was when we were all settled in the same nest.////FROM JACK: I'll bet that's what Shirley said, too. Those were times were a "riot"...some days.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I think that we only remember the sweetness of the past because we are able to forget the little frustrations, fears, worries, etc that we were experiencing in those days. I look at my grandchildren and tell them that they really have no idea how precious everything is because they are now experiencing those same fears, worries, etc of everyday life. They only seem big when we are living thru them. Just like the minute my mother passed I forgot all of the hard work it was and I only remembered the sweetness of it all. I'm not sure if I am making any sense with all of this rambling. You are nice to let me do it!
////FROM JACK: As we get old we have more and more "stuff" deposited in our memory bank. It's like with a regular bank...we can go and withdraw whatever we choose to take out. You had an opportunity to deposit golden memories during the time your mother was in your home.

FROM JL IN MICHIGAN: Satchel Paige once said: "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you!" Enjoy the present every day.////FROM JACK: In his later years, they put a rocking chair in the bullpen, so that Satch could sit there and relax before his next trip to the mound. Eventually, there came a time when his baseball exploits were only memories. It happens that way for all of us.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Now that I have finally returned to Florida, things have certainly slowed down. It seems that all of my life I have been very busy doing interesting and good things. The sweetest time is always the present time and the challenge to adjust to each situation and to count our blessings every day. One of the sweetest is the friendships we have through all of the years, don't you think?////FROM JACK: I think... that God has blessed some of us waaaaaay beyond our deserving. Some of my friends are having some difficult times in their "golden" years. Every day should be Thanksgiving Day for the blessings that are ours. Friendship is one of those blessings, and that can uphold us, whatever the day might bring.

FROM FOXY ROXY: I think all the years have been the sweetest. Can find some good from each of them. Hope they continue for a long time yet.////FROM JACK: It's been said that "there's some good in everyone." That might be harder to accept than finding some good in every day. It's also been said that "the good die young." Mmmmmmm?

FROM BLAZING OAKS: My mother used to say, "If you think your children grow up too fast, wait until you have GRANDchildren!" I wish I had recorded more of the special things my kids did and said, to savor these days...Life goes by in a blur of experiences and activities!! Now the GREAT-Grands are growing up incredibly fast! The sweetest times are surely those with spouse and family, and yes, close friends. Last night I baby-sat my one yr. old "great" Avery, and was aware of how special it was, to have time with her. Count your blessings,name them one by one..."////FROM JACK: My sister and I love to recount some of the sayings that we heard when we were kids. For example, if we acted overly proud about something, we'd hear: "Who do you think you are, Mrs Butternuts?" This was referring to that rich family in Moline, the Butterworths.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Moments do fly faster and faster. But the sweetest moments waking each morning to make more memories. We love our family and our lives right now, each second counts! So we cherish each day and each other.////FROM JACK: "Faster than a weaver's shuttle"...so the saying goes.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in with a group of old people at an assisted living. Every Saturday evening we get together to worship and worship liturgically. Being younger, things were about identity. But the kind of identity stuff that actually probably was based on more insecurity than not of who I was actually being called to be. It's comforting to know that now I've got the chance to worship with a group of people not intent in being Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Jewish, Presbyterian, Episcopal, Lutheran or even Non-denominational. This experience has given me more hope for the Church and thankfulness that these old people seem to really appreciate it too. But I wonder--if we were all 40 years younger, would we so agreeably agreed to come together to worship. We're the same people, has something with regard to religious identity changed in us? Is it just necessity or is it the sweetness of God that we acquiesce in His molding of us into community?
S.H. in MI