Thursday, July 07, 2011

Winning Words 7/7/11
“When the well is dry, we know the worth of water.” (Ben Franklin) In Michigan we may not have oil reserves or the weather of a San Diego, but we’ve got water. Those who live in arid places would love to tap into that resource. Today might be a good time to take an inventory of our blessings. Maybe we’ll come to appreciate the value of some of those things that we just take for granted. ;-) Jack

FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA: I count you as a blessing!////FROM JACK: A blessing is defined as: "a favor or gift bestowed by god, thereby bringing happiness." Therefore, "Thanks be to God."

FROM JL IN MICHIGAN: The weather's not too bad either!////FROM JACK: Lately, it's been "perfect!"

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We are truly truly blessed with the beautiful lakes and rivers we have here in Michigan. We have just vacationed for over a week on Lake Mitchell in Cadillac. Gary's uncle Mike lives up there. The family "cottage" has been in the family since the 20's. It is now a home...rebuilt by Uncle Mike. We should value the gift we have by living here in Michigan. We have some of the most beautiful scenery in the USA. Pure Michigan!////FROM JACK: Has Uncle Mike installed indoor plumbing, yet, up there in Cadillac?

FROM PASTY PAT: Just got access to my email back after being 'blocked' for 10 days. I realize I took that convenience much more for granted than I thought! And mornings just aren't the same without WW//// FROM JACK: You never miss the WWs until the computer runs dry.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Could also be a good analogy for spending in Washington, D.C.; where the financial well is dry. I fear neither side will have the courage to do what is right or even sensible. As the poet Josiah Gilbert Holland wrote: "For while the rabble, with their thumb-worn creeds, Their large professions and their little deeds, Mingle in selfish strife, lo! Freedom weeps, Wrong rules the land and Justice sleeps!" We need statesmen and women, that lead but it is likely we will get more politics and gamesmanship. We shall know the worth of freedom, when she is gone.-////FROM JACK: Some have said, "...and so it shall ever be." Alas.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Enjoyed reading your WW again this morning. Busy counting my blessings today. I'm reading a book now written by Richard Rohr, a Franciscan priest "Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life" and one of the chapters begins with this quote from a Native American Aphorism "No wise person ever wanted to be younger." Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!! None of us, younger or older, really knows the dangers that are ahead for us but we just try to support and love each other as we live out our own lives and do the best we can with the cards that are dealt us. Thanks for reading, Pastor Freed, and allowing me to express.////FROM JACK: Irving Berlin wrote it; Bing Crosby sang it. It's good advice.
When I'm worried and I can't sleep I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all And I fall asleep counting my blessings

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO: In Colorado water is everything. The big snows this year let everyone breathe easier because we will have more water.////FROM JACK: No need for sump pumps, I suppose. We just installed a 5 gallon one in our SW corner to take care of seepage during large rains and melting snow.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: how true. we also appreciate our water here in MN. now, if we could only get the state up and running again. this shutdown is really hard on the economy. uffda.////FROM JACK: Just wait until Michele gets into the White House.








No comments: