Friday, July 29, 2011

Winning Words 7/29/11
“I’ve learned that to be with those I like is enough.” (Walt Whitman) WW is much admired as a poet, but I respect him more because of his humanism. He was a volunteer nurse all during the Civil War. Uppermost in his mind were human values, equality, fairness, social justice. His ideas made him a controversial figure, but that didn’t bother him, because he chose to hang out with those he liked (as do we). ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Thankfully, I've learned over time to see God's affirmation of me through different people around me but it feels like God's call on my emotional and prayer life is to be with some people around me whom I have a hard time understanding and whom I have a hard time loving and even liking. I figure it must be a call from God because it's neigh unto impossible to really get separated from them. But I have hope and trust that all will be well in the end. Mainly this happens in my family and in church. Very thought-provoking WW again.////FROM JACK: Yes, to learn to be among those who are not like us (like is a word with more than one meaning) is a challenge, but that's what living is all about. And remember...Likes are fickle.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I visited the Walt Whitman museum when out East, and one controversial thing was his life partner being a man, although this was not at all emphasized. (Not hidden either) He did indeed live a life of service, and in his lifetime, his poetry form was not always understood and accepted. He had the courage to be his own man! How fortunate we ARE to have people we like to be with!! Not to mention love, as in family and close friends! And to have Jack's WW each day! Last day of VBS at church...smiles all around! :-)
////FROM JACK: I knew that about WW, but I chose not to include it in my comments, because I did not want some to be distracted from his humanism. On second thought, how one lives personally as a human is humanism, after all. BTW, have you ever sung this song in VBS. It's one that I really liked.

God told Noah there's going to be a floodie, floodie
God told Noah there's going to be a floodie, floodie,
Get those animals out of the muddie, muddie
Children of the Lord.

God told Noah to build him an arky, arky
God told Noah to build him an arky, arky
Build it out of gopher barky, barky
Children of the Lord.

The animals, they came in, they came in by twosies, twosies,
The animals, they came in, they came in by twosies, twosies,
Elephants and kangaroosies, roosies,
Children of the Lord.

It rained, it rained for forty nights and daysies, daysies,
It rained, it rained for forty nights and daysies, daysies,
Almost drove poor Noah crazy, crazy,
Children of the Lord.

The sun came out and dried up the landy, landy,
The sun came out and dried up the landy, landy,
Everything was fine and dandy, dandy,
Children of the Lord.

This is the end of, the end of our story, story,
This is the end of, the end of our story, story,
Everything was hunky dory, dory,
Children of the Lord.

FROM JH IN OHIO: good point... humanist indeed.////FROM JACK: One human's definition of humanism, at times, riles another human.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Ah, one of my favorite quotes! He states it all what more can I say?////FROM JACK: Nature says it: "Birds of a feather flock together."

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: That is so true! It is very humbling when you acknowledge that the only thing you have control over is yourself...////FROM JACK: .....and, sometimes, trying to control yourself can also be a humbling experience.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I am happy with the simple things, too. Good company and conversation (whether it's in person, on the phone or even texting) is all I need to be content. ////FROM JACK: "Our" world has so many forms of communication these days, but nothing beats "face to face," which you and I have not had.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, I've learned over time to see God's affirmation of me through different people around me but it feels like God's call on my emotional and prayer life is to be with some people around me whom I have a hard time understanding and whom I have a hard time loving and even liking. I figure it must be a call from God because it's neigh unto impossible to really get separated from them. But I have hope and trust that all will be well in the end. Mainly this happens in my family and in church. Very thought-provoking WW again.
S.H. in MI
S.H. in MI

John kerry said...

I made a not too bad endeavor to get imply about how I could show substance of this blog. I should state, not much intense yet rather I surrendered each one of my weapons not long after subsequent to understanding it. Save the elephants volunteer