Thursday, July 28, 2011

Winning Words 7/28/11
“Don’t bite your elbows.” (Russian Proverb) Have you ever tried to bite your elbow? The proverb advises us not to get upset over things we can’t do anything about. Don’t try to control what you can’t control. I read and listen to the news, but not as much as I used to. There’s too much that I can’t control. Even in everyday living, we have to pick our battles and do that which can be done. Leave those elbows alone. ;-) Jack

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: That's why I don't bother with the ELCA any more....I'm not going to make a difference there....I do bothere with the USA, however, since at least there I have a vote that counts....////FROM JACK: Stephen Foster wrote a song just for you....Beautiful Dreamer.

FROM EEC IN MICHIGAN: What a funny proverb!...Leave those elbows alone. :)////FROM JACK: I wonder, if in the privacy of your computer room, you actually tried to bite one of your elbows?

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: Often times your ww's are very timely. I have been sucking up water with shop vac in basement since about 6:30 this am. Taking a break with a cup of coffee now.I imagine ther's enouigh water down there to keep me busy fo at least another two hours. Thankfully, I am not upset, I will do what I can do and get thru it. Has happened before, but this time is different, much more water and sump pump is working well, time to seek some estimates on what can be done, after all, it's only money. Thanks Jack, just for being here. btw, just for giggles , I did try to see how close I could get to that elbow. ////FROM JACK: When I came across the proverb, I tested it out, too. A couple of months ago we tackled a water problem by installing another (small) sump pump. No water, yet, but the real test will come when the winter snow melts.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: That is a good one. Personally, we know that we cannot control everything, although we do have children who seem to be able to do that in a good and positive way. At this stage of life we know that everything eventually breaks down to some extent, but that we just have to do our best.////FROM JACK: A friend of mine was distraught when she found out that her children had taken away the car keys. At age 95, my mother decided, on her own, not to renew her driver's license. "Control" is very personal for us, at whatever age.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: That's right. I remember now that was the Wall Drug Store, wasn't it? His daughter graduated from Northwestern School of Nursing in MPLS, my own alma mater. (I think)////FROM JACK: Close, but not the Wall Drug Store. His father's drug store was in Wallace, SD. His early years, learning South Dakota values, shaped his life as a politician. There have been, and there are, some good leaders in government.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: Thanks, Jack, for the affirmation! I don't listen or watch news much either. Knowing I have no control distances me from it. (That's really too bad, isn't it.) Father Dietz said many years ago that he never listened to the 11 o'clock news. There was no reason to lose a night's sleep.////FROM JACK: I don't watch the 11 o'clock news, either, because I can't stay up that late. My excuse is that I have to get Winning Words out to people like you at 5 am.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Elbows certainly are inaccessible to the teeth! The worst we can do is hit or scrape them...so maybe we can do SOMETHING with whose "elbow" situations! I just read a good Italian proverb this morning:"When the Chess game is over, the pawns, rooks, kings, queens, all go back into the same box". We have the power of prayer, and as the old poet said, "More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of..." Wasn't that Tennyson? Anyway, the Russian proverb is a good thought not to worry and gnash our teeth when we are helpless to change thing.////FROM JACK: You're right about Tennyson. I haven't played chess for several years, but the chess box is within sight. Chess box and burial vault...two of a kind.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Strange but true. I seldom watch the news anymore at all. I used to watch it mainly for the weather. Now we can get the weather at the drop of a hat in several different areas. My grandson whips out his phone and gets maps and everything. Amazing! We were also taught to "Not sweat the small stuff, especially things we can't/couldn't control." It's still great advice for these days.////FROM JACK: It doesn't do much good to sweat the big stuff, either...at least the elbow stuff.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Elbows are for bending, nails are for biting!////FROM JACK: The elbow (and not your head) is where your funny bone is located.

FROM INDY GENIE: of course you know I'm here trying to bite my elbows,,,can't do it. good illustration, hope i remember it!////FROM JACK: Do you remember the child's game, "Made you look?" I'm in my second childhood.






No comments: