Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Winning Words 7/19/11
“Enjoy yourself, it’s later than you think.” (Guy Lombardo song) G.L. and his Royal Canadians played, “The sweetest music this side of heaven.” Today’s quote is the title of one song. The words are so good that I’m putting them on the blog. BTW, someone recently sent me a Lifespan Calculator. Answer a few questions on the computer, and your demise year pops up. I hope you’re enjoying yourself. ;-) Jack
G-DAUGHTER JANEL enjoyed herself last Sunday by entering a 1k Backward Race in London and winning it (06:06). 1k backward is equivalent to a 6k race forward.

ENJOY YOURSELF, IT'S LATER THAN YOU THINK
You work and work for years and years, you're always on the go.
You never take a minute off, too busy makin' dough.
Someday, you say, you'll have your fun when you're a millionaire--
Imagine all the fun you'll have in your old rockin' chair.

FOR LIFESPAN CALCULATOR
Google: Northwestern Mutual; then click on: Lifespan Calculator

FROM RS IN MICHIGAN: You go, Janel! Guy Lumbardo reminds me so much of my mom. Anything that reminds me of her (it happens daily) makes me smile. We had a Christmas record by them and I loved it. I actually still have my own cassette tape of it, but wont be able to play it much longer…they are antiquated like records now.////FROM JACK: Your spelling of Lombardo reminds me of a friend who used to refer to him as Gus Lumbago. BTW, do you know what lumbago is?

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Awesome that your granddaughter can walk backwards that fast. Enjoyed the Lifespan Calculator--especially since I was honest on the quiz and still got 93 years. Sort of incredulous but smiling here.////FROM JACK: Since you're smiling, you must be enjoying yourself.

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN: I remember watching Guy Lombardo on New Year’s Eve every year with my family.////FROM JACK: At midnight the band would play, "Auld Lang Syne." Auld Lang Syne is a Scots poem written by Robert Burns in 1788 and set to the tune of a traditional folk song. It is well known in many countries, especially in the English-speaking world; its traditional use being to celebrate the start of the New Year at the stroke of midnight. By extension, it is also sung at funerals, graduations, and as a farewell or ending to other occasions. The international Boy Scout youth movement, in many countries, uses it as a close to jamborees and other functions.

FROM SB IN MICHIGAN: Congratulations to Janel. Nice going!////FROM JACK: Some people find enjoyment in running backwards. Why not try it today?

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: wow, rather impressive. so you run backwards for one k?? sounds like my life sometimes...////FROM JACK: I remember reading about a guy who was driving backwards down a busy street. When the police stopped him, he explained that the only gear that worked in his car was, "reverse." I hope that your gears work better than that.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Now those are words to ponder! I have a friend who won't spend a cent more than she has too. She is waiting for retirement. She thinks our family is foolish to take the vacations we do and to have the fun-times we do. I invite her to think about the todays and not so much about the tomorrows as we don't know the time or the hour of our death. It's the same way I feel about the "demise" calculator. It's an interesting tool. PS...congratulations to your Granddaughter...what an interesting way to race!////FROM JACK: "The clock of life is wound but once And no one has the power To tell just when the hands will stop, At late or early hour. Now is the only time you own; Live, love, work, and with a will; Place no faith in tomorrow, for The clock may then be still." I'm glad that Janel took the time to try "reverse running."

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: I am constantly amazed by the opportunities and challenges that our grandkids have. I can't imagine walking 1k backward. (I have enough trouble walking frontwards.) I did learn to ride a bike backwards when I was probably 10 or 12. Didn't go far, just around the neighborhood.////FROM JACK: Some people go to London and ride a sightseeing bus. I admire those who seek out that which is unusual.
Mother Goose had a comment about this: Pussy-cat, pussy-cat, where have you been? "I've been to London to look at the queen." Pussy-cat, pussy-cat, what did you there? "I frightened a little mouse under the chair."

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Very impressive!////FROM JACK: What is impressive? Guy Lombardo? Your lifespan prediction? The way you're enjoying yourself? Running in reverse?

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Congrats to Janel and her family!////FROM JACK: She has played a lot of soccer, which involves running backward at times. She'll be a college senior and is in London as part of her study program.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Ah! What a g.daughter! Good for her!! This quote reminds me of the song, "Are Ya Having Any Fun? (Whatcha gettin' out of living'? What good is what you've got, if you're not, having any fun?! and goes on to say, "You know the squirrels save and save, and whadda they got? NUTS!...better have a little fun, you aren't gonna live forever..." And so on. I LOVE having a little fun, and one of the highest compliments my husband ever paid me was, "You've been fun to live with"!! :-)////FROM JACK: Your comment about being a "fun-wife" caused me think about the original Funny Girl, Fanny Brice, and her movie portrayer, Barbra Streisand. You're in good company. Sadly, Fanny Brice's life wasn't always fun and games.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Do backward races start at the finish line?////FROM JACK: Now, that's a good question. lenaJ ksa ot evah ll'I.

FROM DP IN WISCONSIN: Congratulations to Janel! that must be fun to watch....not to do!////FROM JACK: It reminds me of something that might have been highlighted on The Monty Python Show.

FROM DFL IN OREGON: Your G-Daughter Janel is anything but backward - Congratulation to her-- and to you for having really interesting family members!////FROM JACK: Janel said that instead of saying "ready, steady, go!" they said "go, steady, ready!" ...and they were off.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND: Well done Janel////FROM JACK: Did you ever participate in that race? It was held in Crystal Palace Park. Do you know where that is?

FROM MOLINER JT: I feel like I'm in a Backward Race many times.////FROM JACK: From where you've been, it's been a forward march.

FROM WATERFORD ANNE: Congratulations, Janel. You come from great stock. I love that song and all the memories it brings. Yes. I try to enjoy every day. Some are better than others but I am grateful for each.
////FROM JACK: "Enjoy Yourself" is one of those songs where I enjoy both the tune and the lyrics.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: That is why we have to take just one day at a time and to know that life is all about changes.////FROM JACK: We know that with our mind. Now, if we could only get our emotions to understand it.



























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome that your granddaughter can walk backwards that fast. Enjoyed the Lifespan Calculator--especially since I was honest on the quiz and still got 93 years. Sort of incredulous but smiling here.
S.H. in MI