Friday, July 15, 2011

Winning Words 7/15/11
“The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.” (Sent by Blazing Oaks) Disneyworld advertises itself as “the happiest place on earth.” But, a recent in-depth study shows that Denmark is that place. The Danes feel “tryghed,” a word meaning, like a snug child. Wouldn’t you like to feel like that? What’s your idea of happiness? ;-) Jack

FROM SS IN MICHIGAN: Probably my description of happiness is oft quoted "not having what you want but wanting what you have".////FROM JACK: That works in a lot of situations, doesn't it?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: And Copenhagen has had Tivoli for many, many years. Happiness is counting your blessing every day.////FROM JACK: "When I'm worried and I can't sleep I count my blessings instead of sheep And I fall asleep counting my blessings When my bankroll is getting small I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings."

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: How do you pronounce that? I want to add it to my vocabulary.////FROM JACK: I think that the "try" is pronounced as, "tree." I believe that some Danish boys have been named, Trygh. We don't seem to give enough thought to the meanings when give names to children these days. In biblical times it was very important. ie: Adam (formed from red earth); Dorcas (one with beautiful eyes); Jack (the Lord's grace). Oops, they can't all be perfect.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Happiness is being a Dane! My idea of happiness is being healthy in a room full of beloved family and friends. It's knowing God forgives and Heaven awaits!////FROM JACK: Clap your hands; stamp your feet; say, AMEN!

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Thanks for using my quote! As we age, I think happiness more and more centers on having the health and strength to enjoy our days, and be useful to others, in some way. I just completed scheduling a month of volunteers for Meals On Wheels, and they are mostly retired people who are willing to serve. With gas prices sky-high, a few have had to cut back on volunteering; so having enough money "to do" also contributes to happiness. Just played 18 holes on a beautiful golf course on a gorgeous summer day. Doesn't get much better than that! :-) "Being an active 81 yr. old is happiness!"////FROM JACK: 81? You don't look a day older than 18. Of course, I haven't seen you since you were 18.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: "Blazing Oaks" ? ////FROM JACK: That's a nickname that I've given her. I should come up with a good one for you.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Happiness is seeing your loved ones happy.////FROM JACK: Happiness is contagious.////MORE FROM CHESTER: Be a "carrier."

FROM CS IN UPPER LOWER MICHIGAN: Yes, my husband! I guess I'm the talkative wife--but I'm learning. ////FROM JACK: I know! He just looks at you and smiles.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Actually, my idea of happiness comes from those days when at least 3 things happen all in a row that tear a person down and I don't know whether it's all my fault or someone else's fault but I feel battered and bruised and busy praying, you know, and someone God's angel, comes along and puts some salve on the wounds. That's not only happiness, that's pure relief that the pain and suffering has some sort of a solution. Happened again this past Wednesday in fact.////FROM JACK: The "salve" in biblical days was called, "balm." "Some times I feel discouraged, And think my work’s in vain, But then the Holy Spirit
Revives my soul again. There is a balm in Gilead To make the wounded whole; There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin sick soul."

FROM INDY GENIE: Haley Mills (Pollyanna) and I couldn't agree more with these WW's! I like the Danes idea of happiness....Disney wants us to believe that they understand a child's happiness...I think Dorothy knew better.."There's no place like home"////FROM JACK: Did you know that there's an exact copy of Dorothy's house in Liberal, Kansas? How long has it been since you've visited the Grayslake home on Lake Street? I'll bet that you can do it right now...in your mind.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, my idea of happiness comes from those days when at least 3 things happen all in a row that tear a person down and I don't know whether it's all my fault or someone else's fault but I feel battered and bruised and busy praying, you know, and someone God's angel, comes along and puts some salve on the wounds. That's not only happiness, that's pure relief that the pain and suffering has some sort of a solution. Happened again this past Wednesday in fact.
S.H. in MI