Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Winning Words 6/8/11
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” (Ferris Bueller) A Free Press writer used these words to describe the life of a baseball rookie. You’re only in “the bigs” as long as you produce. Have you noticed how fast the sand goes through the hour glass as the grains become a precious few? Take a look at the calendar and give a prayer of thanks for each day. ;-) Jack

FROM JM IN MICHIGAN: Speaking of calendars, have you noticed how hard it is to find moon phases on calendars these days? I'm not sure what that means but, for me, it means I sometimes have to guess if all the crazy behavior is due to a full moon or just human nutziness. Good morning!////FROM JACK: A nurse who has worked the ER on the night shift says that when there's a full moon they expect weird kinds of situations to come through the door, and it happens. She's not weird, either. I don't see moon phases on my Thrivent calendar, but my Fire Dept calendar has them.////MORE FROM JM: I guess I'll have to get a fire dept. calendar for 2012. I have all kinds of calendars (four wall calendars, several "datebooks" and a couple of all-the-months on one card) in addition to the Thrivent desk calendar that I have hole-punched and use inside my planner, and none of them has moon phases. Your ER nurse is not the only one busier on full moon nights. More babies are born then, too, according to nurses' comments. I tend to be more careful driving when I can see that the moon is full -- crazier driving ensues, as well, on those nights. We are, in many ways, as human beings, all "luna-tics".

FROM NL IN INDIANA: YEP: I'M 72 TODAY WHERE DID THE TIME GO? HOW DID I DO IT ALL? MAYBE I STILL HAVE A LOT MORE TO DO? WE CAN ALSO LOOK AT WHAT THE WORLD INVENTED IN OUR LIFE TIME, AMAZING. MY NEW CELL PHONE IS JUST AMAZING.////FROM JACK: I think that I could adjust to using a droid, but, for now, it'll have to be the little red book that I carry in my pocket. It works. You've done a lot in those 72 years...and who knows what's in store during the years to come.

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: Amen Jack, time is flying by! I try to stop and take it all in! ////FROM JACK: Do you remember when you were in high school? If you were to pick a "favorite" time, what would that be?////MORE FROM MK: That is a tuff one, early twenties I guess was a terrific time for me, now it pretty good too! How about you?////FROM JACK: It sounds like a cop-out, but each of the eras has been fun for me. But, the twenties were good ones, come to think of it.

FROM PASTY PAT: My corollary to that one is "Life is an interesting journey --- if you're paying attention". ////FROM JACK: Who'd ever think that a little girl from the U.P. would travel to so many places in her lifetime?

FROM DR IN MICHIGAN: Thank you for this one! I have forwarded it on to many, many of my friends and family that just move to fast! They all really need to slow down and look around!////FROM JACK: Unless someone bothers to warn us to Stop, Look and Listen, we're going to miss out on some great things. This morning I saw two people communicating in sign language. It was beautiful.

FROM MOLINER CF: One of the most appropriate WWs in a long line of wisdoms. Had our monthly Lunch Bunch (High school buddies) yesterday, and as I sat there looking around the table, I realized how many were missing. Was sad the rest of the day. Today's WW has lit the fire again. Thank you.////FROM JACK: Someone has to be first. But thank God that we can remember.
Should You Go First By A.K. Rowswell

Should you go first and I remain
To walk the road alone,
I'll live in memory's garden, dear,
With happy days we've known.
In spring I'll wait for roses red,
When fades the lilac blue,
In early fall, when brown leaves call
I'll catch a glimpse of you.

Should you go first and I remain
For battles to be fought,
Each thing you've touched along the way
Will be a hallowed spot.
I'll hear your voice, I'll see you smile,
Though blindly I may grope,
The memory of your helping hand
Will buoy me on with hope.

Should you go first and I remain
To finish with the scroll,
No length'ning shadows shall creep in
To make this life seem droll.
We've known so much of happiness,
We've had our cup of joy,
And memory is one gift of God
That death can not destroy.

Should you go first and I remain,
One thing I'd have you to do:
Walk slowly down that long, lone path,
For soon I'll follow you.
I'll want to know each step you take,
That I may walk the same,
For someday down that lonely road
You'll hear me call your name.

FROM JL IN MICHIGAN: Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!!! ////FROM JACK: I'll have to remember that when I'm doing some creative thinking in one of the last bastions.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: Teach us to number our days awright.....Psalm 90////FROM JACK: I've used that verse often at funerals....and this poem, too.
The clock of life is wound but once And no one has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop, At late or early hour.
Now is the only time you own; Live, love, work, and with a will;
Place no faith in tomorrow, for The clock may then be still.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: One of my daughter's favorite movies....it still makes her laugh. Ferris manipulates his time and days for fun and laughter. We should all do a little more manipulation for fun and laughter ....perhaps not like Ferris does, but we should get a little more joy out of our brief lives. Stop to look around today!////FROM JACK: Isn't it interesting how we'd look forward to "a day off" when we were younger, and now (in the golden years) we look forward to something interesting to do with our time?

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: the average NFL career is less than 4 years! ouch. literally!////FROM JACK: I wonder how that compares to the career length of the average pastor.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Boy, the days and weeks slide by in a blur, if you're not careful! My mother once said to me, "If you think your children grow up too fast, wait until you have GRANDCHILDREN!" So true, and the Great-grands even more so!! Loved the poem If You Go Before Me...poignant and very true; The loss of a soul mate is a path you must trod alone...each deals in his/her own way. Difficult! As Marilyn Charles Karlstrom (remember her from MHS?) wrote when Jan died, "Those of us blessed with many years, bear the brunt of many losses." It does make you more aware of the blessing of each new day, and decent health to enjoy it!! ////FROM JACK: Yes, I knew Chuckie. My mother, who lived to be 102, said in her later years: "All my friends are gone." When she was dying in the nursing home, one of the aides opened the window in her room so that her spirit could be released and "fly" away.

FROM ES IN MICHIGAN: Good advice, I agree, Life sure moves fast. ////FROM JACK: But once in awhile an e-mail like yours "puts on the brakes," and I can go back and my memory allows a "rerun."







No comments: