Monday, June 06, 2011

Winning Words 6/6/11
“Optimism is like red wine. A little bit is good, but the whole bottle is dangerous.” (Heard on MSNBC by Tony) Optimism is from Latin, meaning, “best.” An optimist expects the best outcome. Some researchers see it as a biological trait. Optimism is one subject in a book, Why People Believe In Weird Things. I subscribe to the “red wine” theory about optimism. I believe that it’ll be a great day today. ;-) Jack

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: Guess it depends entirely on one's defintion of great. ////FROM JACK: Thanks for your great response.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I tried moderation but then I wanted just a little more… ////FROM JACK: You sound like Mick Jagger. "I can't get no satisfaction."

OPTIMISM OR REALISM (From Good Debt Jon): A guy (not in the best of shape) was working out in the gym when he spotted a sweet young thing... He asked the trainer that was nearby "What machine in here should I use to impress her?" The trainer looked him up and down and said "I would try the ATM in the lobby".......

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: ....Amen to both........////FROM JACK: Watch out for that whole bottle...and too much optimism.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Optimism is to be taken as needed...sometimes a little is okay and sometimes you need a whole bottle.////FROM JACK: Thanks for the prescription, Dr. Judy!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Yes, and I hope that it will be as great a day in Michigan for you, as it is for me in Florida, because I am finally home. Neighbors, friends, and families took good care of my house while I was gone for six weeks.(I went to Virginia for three days, but that is another story.) We did get to go to a beautiful wedding and reception at the Cah d'Zan at the Ringling Museum in Sarasota on Saturday night, but Mark did not get to receive his First Holy Communion on Sunday because he was sick. C'est la vie.////FROM JACK: It's a beautiful day in Michigan. Sunshiney and comfortably cool! I remember when the Ringling Brothers Circus came to Moline. My dad took us down to watch them unload the train. We watched as the tents went up with elephant power. There was also a parade on 15th Street passing the Roxy. Or did I just dream that?

FROM BF IN MICHIGAN: I'm counting on a great week too! Am I on my second glass or drunk....??? Have a great day,////FROM JACK:
It's a little after noon, so I imagine that it's water that you have "drunk."

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: That's about a glass-full.////FROM JACK: The Optimist says the glass is half-full.

FROM MOLINER CF: Is your wine glass half full or half empty?////FROM JACK: Do you mean that little communion glass?

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I sure enjoyed the "optimistic" comments today on your blog, and laughed out loud at the banter exchanged! What a day brightener you, and these guys and gals are!! I have been blessed with a positive attitude in most situations, even when my wonderful husband was incurably ill (most of the time!), but the condition of our world at present, and USA with all the economic woes and violent weather, and my church's crisis of transformation,(Our neighborhood location has changed very drastically in the past 20 yrs. and we are staying put, ministering to the "new" and much needier congregants, and getting older by the minute :-) ) makes it difficult to have the full bottle of optimism, which is counseled against, anyway, isn't it?! So yeah, let's just have a GREAT hot and humid day on Lake Petersburg!! I'm all for it. As a woman in the US, I always have a lot to be thankful for, having seen the alternative in many other countries..////FROM JACK: WWJD is more than a bracelet slogan. If Jesus had a choice between joining an optimist club or a pessimist club, I have no question about WWJD. The world always seems to have a variety of woes, so the need for a spiritual base is omnipresent...just like our God.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: It will be if you MAKE it so....////FROM JACK: What you wrote reminds me of something similar: "If it is to be, it is up to me."

FROM MOLINER JT: It "IS" a great day today !!////FROM JACK: You know what it means to "take one day at a time." Today must be one of those "IS" days. Hurrah.



No comments: