Friday, June 03, 2011

Winning Words 6/3/11
“Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get.” (George Bernard Shaw) I like the lyrics and music of My Fair Lady. That musical is based on Shaw’s novel, Pygmalion. Do you know who Pygmalion was? (Google-time) Either you like opinionated and acerbic GBS, or you don’t. In this life we don’t always get what we like, but sometimes we get My Fair Lady. ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Creative people often aren't easy to live with. But considering what they bring to our lives, it's an acceptable trade-off.////FROM JACK: How about when two creative people live together? You make an interesting point. Perhaps the best marriages are symbiotic ones.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Great one; have never heard this before; thank you for sharing and I love My Fair Lady …we know all of the words by heart.////FROM JACK: With a little bit of luck, you'll like what you get. I suppose you can sing these lines.
He doesn't have a tuppence in his pocket.
The poorest bloke you'll ever hope to meet.
He doesn't have a tuppence in his pocket-but
With a little bit of luck, With a little bit of luck,
He'll be movin' up to easy street.
With a little bit...with a little bit...
With a little bit of luck, He's movin' up.
With a little bit...with a little bit...
With a little bit of bloomin luck!

FROM MOLINER CF: GBS was an egotistical clod who wasn't smart enough to make a movie out of his story. ////FROM JACK: GBS was just an ordinary man.
Well after all, Fanning, I'm an ordinary man,
Who desires nothing more than an ordinary chance,
to live exactly as he likes, and do precisely what he wants...
An average man am I, of no eccentric whim,
Who likes to live his life, free of strife,
doing whatever he thinks is best, for him,
Well... just an ordinary man...

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I'm sure we strive to get what we like, but sometimes have to say with Paul, "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content!" MY FAIR LADY is an all time favorite with me! ////FROM JACK: That's why Paul is called SAINT Paul. It takes a saint to be content in whatever state...Illinois or Michigan.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: My Fair Lady reminds me of another movie "Hobson's Choice" produced in 1954. A real treasure of a movie. From the internet "A Hobson's choice is a free choice in which only one option is offered. As a person may refuse to take that option, the choice is therefore between taking the option or not "Take it or leave it." I like My Fair Lady too but I like "Hobson's Choice" better.////FROM JACK: There are many "choice" situations in this life. Every day is a fork in the road, and the choice that is made leads to other forks, and that's why life is so interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Fair Lady reminds me of another movie "Hobson's Choice" produced in 1954. A real treasure of a movie. From the internet "A Hobson's choice is a free choice in which only one option is offered. As a person may refuse to take that option, the choice is therefore between taking the option or not "Take it or leave it." I like My Fair Lady too but I like "Hobson's Choice" better.
S.H. in MI