Monday, June 27, 2011

Winning Words 6/27/11
“It doesn’t cost a nickel to be nice to people.” (Sparky Anderson) It was nice that the Detroit Tigers retired Sparky’s #11 uniform number yesterday. It’s too bad it wasn’t done sooner, because he died last year. Sometimes we wait too long to express our appreciation to people. Today is a good day to say “thank you” to someone who’s made a difference in your life. Being nice doesn’t cost a nickel. ;-) Jack (The quotes this week are from George “Sparky” Anderson, long-time manager of the Detroit Tigers baseball team)

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Yet, it seems, some folks are too tight to give free compliments….nice WW.////FROM JACK: I can remember the times when a nickle was BIG money...and when being nice was commonplace.////
MORE FROM JON: I remember 16 oz Frosty Root beer 10 cents candy was a nickel now a $1////FROM JACK:
When Pepsi-Cola was introduced, they had this jingle: "Twice as much for a nickle, too. Pepsi-Cola is the drink for you." Both Pepsi and Coke cost a nickle, but Coca-Cola came in a 6 oz bottle. Pepsi's bottle was 12oz.

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Very true. Thanks for being a great friend, Jack. And - thanks for everything you do for Gary. ////FROM JACK: And "thanks" for your nice response. It's appreciated!

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: "Thank You", Jack!////FROM JACK: I'm putting a nickle in my pocket for the next time I see you.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: thank you.////FROM JACK: You didn't have to "say" that, but I will "say" that the feeling is mutual.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Thank you, Jack. Thank you for bringing us quotes from so many very diverse peoples and thank you for sharing your own really nifty thoughts and also all the other people here who share their thoughts. Your blog really underscores my own belief that everyone has something to contribute to this world, when we think about things a bit.////FROM JACK: I'll always remember how you helped the Liberian girls. You were a friend indeed to those in need. I wonder what ever became of them.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: Thank You (and Mary)....for, among many other kindnesses, "Winning Words"...////
FROM JACK: "Give, and it shall be given unto you." Friendship is a mutual thing.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: My husband said this exact same thing last night!////FROM JACK: That was a nice thing for him to do.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Very nice thought! Thank you!////FROM JACK: As far as I know, Sparky was a nice man.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Some of the people are nice all of the time and all of the people are nice some of the time, but not all of the people are nice all of the time. Abe Hodson////FROM JACK: Have you surveyed that ALL of the people are sometimes nice?

FROM DS IN MICHIGAN: This is SO SO true. Thank Jack, for being in my life. ////FROM JACK: In your work, you touch so many lives, both directly and indirectly. Sometimes the best "thanks" is in the knowing.

FROM PC IN MICHIGAN: We were there yesterday -- we left church early because we needed to be there for Scout Day; thus, the boys' attire in their Class B t-shirts yesterday. What a moving, nice ceremony it was. We all received a nice remembrance of Sparky -- a photo of him. Great game too...they won one for Sparky!////
FROM JACK: I saw the ceremony (and game) on TV. Although Sparky was "unknown" firsthand to the boys, you will be able to tell them what you remember. They will always be able to look at the #11 on the brick wall and say, "We were there."

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Sparky Anderson rings true. Being nice, or expressing gratitude can really make someone's day! I can remember when my daughter was very small, having tears in her eyes, because she had come up to an elderly lady (who sometimes was a guest in our home for a meal) at church and greeted her, and Leona didn''t talk to her. It turned out Leona was speaking to another lady and didn't even notice she was there. It all righted itself very promptly, but it made ME pay special attention to little children after that! And big children, too, for that matter! I just sent thank-you notes to my committee who helped with the new photo directory. (Big job!) Their comments back to me suggested it is rare to receive a written note of thanks for a job well done! It only costs a postage stamp to be kind....amen.////FROM JACK: Have you noticed how few personal letters and cards come in the mail these days? Part of it is easy access to the telephone and e-mail. But, there's nothing like a hand-written message. I've got to send them more often.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND: and I for one have lots to thank you dear Pastor Freed.////FROM JACK: Thanks, but that's what friends are for."

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN: THANK YOU for winning words every week day! ! ! ////FROM JACK: It's hard to accept thanks for something that I enjoy doing...but I'll take it, anyway.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: Thank you Jack for sending these inspirational thoughts. They start my day right and always make me think before acting.////FROM JACK: Getting up at 5 am, in order to send out WWs, starts my day in the right way. The words means something to me; that's why I share them with you.

FROM BS NEAR ORLANDO: It is interesting U mentioned Babe Ruth. He was our role model, but we only saw him in the newsreels at a theater that permitted entry for a knickle. We used to say, "Want a nickle?, go suck a pickle". ////FROM JACK: My father told me about being at the first All-Star game in Chicago and seeing Babe Ruth. Some of Babe's actions after leaving "the park," were not of the role-model kind. BTW, it's been a long time since I've heard that nickle/pickle saying. Thanks for jogging my memory.

FROM MH IN MICHIGAN: I read all of these and often you ask for a response and I do not have one. In this case I do. In my position as a the purchasing director I have decided to recognize each year a person from one of our suppliers who excels at helping us build our business. When I started out with this program I was just thinking about getting the responses that I need and maybe working with their company as an advocate for us as far as keeping us competitive. For last year's award I took the criteria to a higher level. We honored the most humble man that calls on us and works with our sales people. He is absolutely tireless and helping our sales people to build our mutual business. Whereas we are lucky to hear from some of our vendors once per year, we hear from this person everyday. As I wrote his letter of commendation I realized that no one else could win this award as long as he was working with us. He was shocked and humbled that he could be so honored by one of his customers. I am very glad that I did this last year because 2 weeks ago he suffered a stroke, then developed a blood clot, and the hospital in a clumsy effort to treat these things with blood thinners caused him to have internal bleeding. John, which is his name, has survived 2 weeks and everyday he survives I guess gives hope that he will come through this in some fashion. I do not think that I will be able to see him again and therefore am so glad that I chose to honor him. My only regret is that I did not have his family present as I would have liked them to see that their father who looks amazingly like John Candy as Uncle Buck was much more than a simple man but a true American Icon. John would always tell us that we had to Innovate or Die. He meant that we needed to be creative in order to find new products or ideas of how to excel. We have missed him everyday for the last 2 weeks.////FROM JACK: The good thing is that you honored him while he was still able to appreciate it. Sometimes we put off doing the "good thing" until it's too late. There are times when sales people do more than sell things.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jack. Thank you for bringing us quotes from so many very diverse peoples and thank you for sharing your own really nifty thoughts and also all the other people here who share their thoughts. Your blog really underscores my own belief that everyone has something to contribute to this world, when we think about things a bit.
S.H. in MI