Thursday, May 12, 2011

Winning Words 5/12/11
“Good advice is almost certain to be ignored, but that’s no reason not to give it.” (Agatha Christie) One of the most-read parts of a newspaper is the advice column. Do you read Dear Abby or Miss Manners? I’ve heard that Carolyn Hax gives “advice with an attitude.” People sometimes ask me for advice. Most of the time they just want to talk out a problem. So, my advice becomes their own thinking ;-) Jack

FROM BF IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for all the advice you give me. FROM JACK: I just see it as conversation between friends.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for your WW today too. I especially like that part in the Bible where God says "I will write on their own hearts" or something. I think He says the Law on their hearts. There is so much comfort in believing/knowing that truth about the relationship of God with His children. I kind of hope Agatha Christie's WW touch base with that fundamental in the Bible and certainly your WW at the end of the paragraph do. When our advice becomes people's own thinking, powerful transformation of people's spirituality, vision and hope and lives takes place. My experience and opinion anyway. FROM JACK: There's so much good advice out there..... And there's so much bad advice out there..... The trick is to separate the wheat from the chaff. That's our task for today.

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: I enjoy asking advice from people I consider "confused" (he said diplomatically). Whatever they suggest, I do the opposite. FROM JACK: Some good advice: Don't ask for something that you don't want.
MORE FROM HONG KONG: I sometimes try to explain to some of my English-language aspirants how sometimes the word some can refer to a seemingly singular noun, such as a piece of advice. Usually I end up seeking another's advice. FROM JACK: Sometimes you're right in what you write.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Here's a different 'take' on the same topic: To most people, free advice is only worth what they pay for it. FROM JACK: I'm sending you some "free" advice with regard to your business. Take it for what it's worth.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: My MO is that I don't tell adults what to do unless they ask for my advice which usually goes with a story of an experience that I have had. Life is not easy, it is hard. But it is important to enjoy each day and to take one day at a time. FROM JACK: Since you're a teacher, you may appreciate this "advice" poem that I recall....
He came to my desk with quivering lip--
The lesson was done.
"Dear Teacher I want a new leaf," he said,,
"I have spoiled this one."
I took the old leaf, stained and blotted,
And gave him a new one all unspotted,
And into his sad eyes smiled,
"Do better now, my child."
I went to the throne with a quivering soul--
The old year was done.
"Dear Father, hast Thou a new leaf for me?
I have spoiled this one."
He took the old leaf, stained and blotted,
And gave me a new one all unspotted,
And into my sad heart smiled,
"Do better now, My child."
-- Kathleen Wheeler

FROM MOLINER CF: What's mind boggling is that people pay for advice and then ignore it. FROM JACK: We seek advice to help us with our decision making. Advice, paid for or free, is worthwhile only if considered.

FROM JL IN MICHIGAN: We seek advice to help us with our decision making. Advice, paid for or free, is worthwhile only if considered. FROM JACK: You know how it works, don't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your WW today too. I especially like that part in the Bible where God says "I will write on their own hearts" or something. I think He says the Law on their hearts. There is so much comfort in believing/knowing that truth about the relationship of God with His children. I kind of hope Agatha Christie's WW touch base with that fundamental in the Bible and certainly your WW at the end of the paragraph do. When our advice becomes people's own thinking, powerful transformation of people's spirituality, vision and hope and lives takes place.
My experience and opinion anyway.
S.H. in MI