Friday, April 29, 2011

Winning Words 4/29/11
“Instead of loving your enemies, treat your friends a little better.” (Ed Howe) In 1944, The Mills Brothers had a “hit” song, “You Aways Hurt the One You Love.” Child abuse and spousal abuse are making headlines these days, but the problem is not a new one. St. Paul wrote: “The evil that I would not, that I do.” The bottom line is…We can all do a better job of being kinder to those around us. ;-) Jack

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: Sounds good to me Jack, that whole loving your enemies is just about impossible for this human being…. I know he loves them I struggle with that one. Happy Friday to You!! FROM JACK: Let's start with the do-able by being kinder to those around us. God's "command" to be willing to forgive is not an impossible request (or else it wouldn't have been given), but it does present a struggle. Perhaps, that's why it is significant. It's not easy.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Great Winning Words...although not what the Bible tells us. However, I agree with treating our friends and I might add, family better. Today I will endeavor to do just that...a little extra love never hurt anyone! FROM JACK: Don't be distracted by the word, "instead." The thought is that we should be treating "everybody" better. Many agonize as to whether or not forgiveness is deserved, without recognizing the meaning of "grace." Grace (undeserved love) begins with the inner circle and moves outward.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: What an excellent idea! It is our nearest and dearest who deserve our very best, and who often bear the brunt of our ill humor due to something that has nothing to do with them! Someone asked me once, in an interview, what I considered the prime attribute of a mate (after I had been married many years!). I replied, "Kindness". To have a mate who is KIND is a great blessing! Or children, or friends, or
acquaintances! Yes, never mind so much loving our enemies, let's shower our family and friends with love and kindness!! FROM JACK: After the wedding hoopla, I hope that Prince William and Kate treat each other with kindness.

FROM MOLINER CF: Kindness is catching. Pass it on. FROM JACK: Kindness is receiving. Accept it.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: How about both/and? FROM JACK: I thought that you told me the other day that you were an either/or person; however, I accept your suggestion that forgiveness and kindness go hand in hand.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I thought that was a great wedding sermon this morning. Sometimes the kindest thing we can do for our mate is to give him/her some room, especially to grow in the direction he/she needs to grow--hopefully not growing away from us but to become more himself/herself and in the end come closer to God and to us. At first I watched the wedding almost in embarrassment from getting caught up in the media frenzy but finally I appreciated what that couple did for so many people who might not think a church wedding is important in their lives. Very good example, in my opinion. FROM JACK: "The two shall be one" is hard enough to accomplish, but the other expectations with being "a royal couple," must be extremely difficult to live up to.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: How about "both and" rather than "either or"? FROM JACK: One is better than non. Too many folks are satisfied with neither/nor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought that was a great wedding sermon this morning. Sometimes the kindest thing we can do for our mate is to give him/her some room, especially to grow in the direction he/she needs to grow--hopefully not growing away from us but to become more himself/herself and in the end come closer to God and to us. At first I watched the wedding almost in embarrassment from getting caught up in the media frenzy but finally I appreciated what that couple did for so many people who might not think a church wedding is important in their lives. Very good example, in my opinion.
S.H. in MI