Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Winning Words 4/20/11
“All progress is precarious, and the solution to one problem brings us face to face with another
problem.” (MLK,Jr) I appreciated Gilda Radner as a comedienne, especially on SNL. But I admire her most of all for the way in which she faced the many difficulties that came in her lifetime. Her book, “It’s Always Something,” is a good one to read when problems seem overwhelming. ;-) Jack

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: I agree, Jack! I read that many years ago... Quite a woman and quite a book! FROM JACK: Life has its challenges. There are books and people and our God who are there to help us cope.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I have found that nothing comes easily. Even the simplest problem-solving uncovers another level of problems. Considering the hurdles we encounter with menial tasks, it's a miracle that we actually made it to the moon. FROM JACK: When writer Sydney Harris was alive, he would often write an column which he called: "Things I learned while looking up other things." It doesn't always have to be a problem.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Amen. Great WW. FROM JACK: Any words to which we can relate are good words (and sometimes, great). MORE FROM JON: My favorite so far. FROM JACK: I thought that it was interesting, in that the source was MLK Jr, but no one picked up on that. I deliberately changed the direction. I could easlity have made my commentary relate to him, but I wanted to make a different point.


FROM BLAZING OAKS: I agree that Gilda Radner was a gifted person. I'll have to look that book up! Meredith Viera's husband (she is co-anchor of the TODAY show) wrote a memorable book BLIND SIDED which made a real impression on me,. He was an internationally known news reporter who developed a disabling disease, and then was hit with colon cancer. Excellent read! I just can't bring up his name right now!! The thing is, it IS progress, when we solve one problem, and can build on that to go on to the next "layer"! I believe I read that there was more change in technology in the past century, than in all the centuries combined that went before. My grandfather who bought the first "Model-T" car in his small town, was blown away when a man walked on the moon, in his lifetime! FROM JACK: Everyone has a "life" story when you peel back the layers. Yours is an interesting one, and mine is too (at least, to me).

FROM LK IN OHIO: How about Lynn's corollary...."problems are also precarious. God offers hope for renewal when perhaps least expected, and in the least forseen ways." Indeed, the promise of Easter. Just had a great trip to Normandy(Omaha Beach, etc.)/Brittany(Mt. St. Michel), France with my youngest son, Jeff. A truly MOVING experience! FROM JACK: Oh, the stories to be told (and heard) on the other "shore."

FROM YOOPER NANCY: I THINK I'M GOING TO CHECK HER BOOK OUT AT THE LIBRARY (I HOPE). GILDA WAS A SUPER LADY...I'M IN A VERY HAPPY MODE...OUR OLDEST - KARIN IS FLYING HERE FROM RAPID CITY FOR 5 DAYS. (SOCIAL WORKER FOR BIRTH TO 3 SPECIAL NEEDS.) FROM JACK: Ask social worker, Karin, what she thinks about these WWs. She probably has some stories to tell.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: We all know how true that is. When you get one thing fixed, something else will need your attention. And it is not just one thing at a time that happens. It is no big
deal as long as the problem can be fixed, like a leaky roof. A health problem is another thing
altogether, but it is amazing all of the progress on the health front, like pacemakers. FROM JACK: I remember Rosemary Clooney singing: "This Old House."
This old house is getting shaky
This old house is getting old
This old house lets in the rain and
This old house lets in the cold
On my knees I'm getting chilly
But I feel no fear or pain
'Cause I see an angel peeking through
A broken window pane

FROM MOLINER CF: Gilda was and still is my favorite comedienne. Not only for her humor but her courage. I YouTube her regularly. FROM JACK: Stories of courage tend to be stories that are inspirational. Many comics have pathos in their lives.



No comments: