Monday, April 11, 2011

Winning Words 4/11/11
“Keep a stiff upper lip.” (19th Century Proverb) Other versions of this are “Keep a straight face” and “Keep your chin up.” Sometimes a person’s lips will quiver when he/ she is upset. This proverb advises: “Do your duty and show no emotion.” It’s also a sign of optimism. “No matter what the circumstance might be, I’m going to see it through.” It’s interesting that AC/DC has a song with this title. ;-) Jack

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Curious how with you everything is a sign of optimism....has the Power of Evil become a sign of optimism, too??? FROM JACK: That's why I call them "Winning Words." Some people have told me that they need a "positive" word as they begin the week. Some people need that kind of help every day. Much of evil that bests us is in the way we look at things. I'm not necessarily an Oscar Wilde fan, but what he says here is worth thinking about. “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.”

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: One day at a time. FROM JACK: ...but our "strange" mind wants to jump ahead, hours, days, moths, years, ezpecially at night.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Just wondering....does that proverb have a beginning...like for shaving for instance? Never-the-less, today I will keep a stiff upper lip! (Even though I don't shave!) LOL FROM JACK: It looks like you're wearing your "funny" face today.

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS: Jack, yesterday I was listening to Garrison Kiellor and his "Lake Wobegone " story. He got to talking about the pastors at the Lutheran church and he said, " God said the meek shall inherit the earth...but so far that has only produced Lutherans."

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I'm sure we've all had to keep a "stiff upper lip" many times, and I think you are right on track to say it involves optimism, rather than stoicism. One carries on, hoping for the best...Right now I am struggling with being chrm. of our new photo church directory, and believe me, a stiff upper lip and a few other things might help! :-) FROM JACK: I came across another of the "old" proverbs..."PULL YOUR SOCKS UP!" Pull your socks up and get that directory done. Use your charm, if you have to.

FROM MOLINER CF: Smile though your heart is aching Smile even though it's breaking FROM JACK: I think that today's "crowd" would respond more to AC/DC than to Charlie Chaplin or Nat King Cole.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: wow, this is an oldie. I'll have to remember this one next time I start to cry. l'll see it this works. Did U know I am a cry baby? FROM JACK: Don't be ashamed of crying. Remember John 11:35 says: "Jesus wept.

No comments: