Friday, March 18, 2011

Winning Words 3/18/11
“Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven.” (Yiddish Proverb)
I’ve read that Yiddish is a mishmash of German and Hebrew. I usually associate it with common sense proverbs spoken among the Jewish. Example: “Love your neighbor, even if he plays a trombone.” Today’s WWs says that we should be understanding of others and the life that has formed them. ;-) Jack

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: How about. this Yiddish saying... "You should grow like an onion with your head in the ground and your feet in the air!" Not quite your style,Jack, but it is funny! FROM JACK: I read about some non-Jewish woman who set out to learn Yiddish, because she wanted to read the proverbs in "the original." I'm satisfied with the translations--loke yours.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN DENVER: You probably won't knead half-baked puns today. FROM JACK: I'll take anything from a half-baked Baptist.

FROM MOLINER CF: Probably why some of us are "half baked." FROM JACK: It depends on the bakers, too.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: There are some extremely funny sayings. I like this one: like the others
commented...it's sounds like the dough in too under baked for some and burnt for others. FROM JACK: The key thought, as I see it, is that we all have the same "ultimate" baker.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: How about everyone is needed out of the same dough but not needed to be baked in the same oven. I like diversity though can't say I've always appreciated it as much as when I got older and wiser. FROM JACK: I like the needed/kneaded comparison. Diversity is still a "hard sell" to a lot of people.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I had some lovely, close Jewish neighbors, who personified tolerance, and understanding. (Their son played Prince Chulalongkorn when I portrayed Mrs. Anna in THE KING AND I at Sprfld. Muni Opera. He is now a professional actor in the Chicago Area). A timely reminder that we need to walk in another's moccasins before judging their lives and motives! Good one. FROM JACK: Or, we need to go to another's place of worship, before judging their lives and motives. Accepting religious diversity is still hard for some to accept, even in a country which espouses "freedom of religion." MORE FROM BO: Isn't hat the truth! And yet our world has become very small, and diversity is here to stay!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about everyone is needed out of the same dough but not needed to be baked in the same oven. I like diversity though can't say I've always appreciated it as much as when I got older and wiser.
S.H. in MI