Thursday, March 17, 2011

Winning Words 3/17/11
“Irish Blessing: May the Lord keep you in his hand and never close his fist.” (From The Bathroom
Reader) History says that Patrick was a priest who brought Christianity to Ireland in the 5th century. He used the shamrock to explain the concept of the Trinity. The clover is one, as God is one. God reveals himself as 1) Creator, 2) Jesus, 3) Spirit, but remains as one. Today’s “blessing” is one for you! ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: What a wonderful blessing this morning!!!! I forwarded it on to my daughter. FROM JACK: Blessing is an interesting word. Make your choice...Germanic paganism: To mark with blood, or...Biblical use: To wish good things for someone. I choose the latter.

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: How interesting is the significance of the clover...I never knew that... FROM JACK: Here's something else you probably didn't know: Many years ago the custom developed in Ireland where young children would pinch anyone who wasn't wearing green on St. Patrick's Day. I would suggest that you NOT try it today.

FROM MOLINER CF: I have designed a logo for T-shirts, mugs, caps, etc. I've copyrighted it and am just
starting to market it. Thought you might like to see it on St. P's Day. (Note) It shows a shamrock--half blue and half with red and white horizontal stripes. Beneath are the words: Twice Blessed. It's all on a green and white background. FROM JACK: It looks good. Now, see what you can do with an open hand and a fist.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: The threat that He could close his fist has been forgotten by the modern liberal church....that loss detracts from the power of the message FROM JACK: I wonder if you see the "Fist" sculpture in downtown Detroit as a symbol of God?

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: Thank you! And, top o' the mornin' to ya! FROM JACK: and the balance of the day to you! (When you wish some one the "Top of the Morning" you are wishing them the best part of the
morning. To which they should reply, "and the balance of the day to you." This is wishing you a good rest of the day.)

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Thank you! I've heard or read many Irish Blessings but not this one. Happy St. Patrick's Day! FROM JACK: Could the "fist bump" be a new kind of Irish greeting?

FROM MW IN ILLINOIS: Don't think I've ever heard this saying, but I like it. FROM JACK: It's always a good day when you learn something new.

FROM KZB IN COLORADO: May joy and peace surround you, Contentment latch your door,And happiness be with you now And bless you ever more Happy St. Paddy's day! FROM JACK: Does the fact that you went to Notre Dame make you half Irish?

FROM INDY GENIE: This blessing reminds me of how I tried to raise my kids! Balance of the day to, my friend! FROM JACK: Pretty good advice to parents. If God does, so can they.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I have a good Irish prayer hanging on my hall wall...it often causes comments and chuckle: "MAY THOSE WHO LOVE US, LOVE US. AND THOSE WHO DON'T LOVE US, MAY GOD TURN THEIR HEARTS. AND IF HE DOESN'T TURN THEIR HEARTS, MAY HE TURN THEIR ANKLES, SO WE'LL KNOW THEM MY THEIR LIMPING. Old Gaelic Blessing... Happy St. Pat's. I chaired our Corned Beef and Cabbage luncheon for Seniors at our church today, with festive decorations, and games with silly Celtic prizes. Fun. Then took my best friend out for dinner to celebrate her 82nd b.day...(tho she's Italian)...no green beer and corned beef for her! :-) FROM JACK: Some people like corned beef and cabbage...and some of us love knackwurst and sauerkraut.

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: My meditation book for lent says the stem represents the one divine nature, and the three leaves the three persons. I like it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blessing this morning!!!! I forwarded it on to my daughter.
S.H. in MI