Thursday, March 10, 2011

Winning Words 3/10/11
“The happiest people do not necessarily have the best things. They simply appreciate the things they have.” (Warren Buffet) A group of people in Texas has formed the “Secret Society of Happy People.” They’ve decided that they’re going to be happy, despite the circumstances around them. It’s not playing a game of Let’s Pretend. They just want to enjoy the life they have. www.sohp.com ;-) Jack

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Warren would know... FROM JACK: I hope that it's a happy day for you today. BTW, 4:30 am at your place will be 5:30 am next week.

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: I want to join this society, can we form our own chapter here in Michigan? FROM JACK: That's what Winning Words is supposed to be doing for you. We now have about 500 members in the club.

FROM NL IN FLORIDA: JACK I BELIEVE IN THAT: THANK GOD IN WHAT YOU HAVE, WISH AND WORK FOR MORE IF THAT'S YOUR DESIRE BUT ALWAYS BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE. IT KEEPS A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND GIVES YOU A GOOD DISPOSITION. BE A HAPPY PERSON, TALK HEALTH AND HAPPINESS TO EVERY PERSON YOU MEET. OI CREED FROM JACK: This world needs more smiles and more people with better dispositions.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: That sounds like a message that Gov. Walker might bring to the union members in Wisconsin..... FROM JACK: I know of friends in Wisconsin who aren't too happy these days. The reality of the ballot box is that it makes some people unhappy.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I've always found a lot of joy in the Apostle Paul's WW I've learned to be content with a lot and also content with a little. There's a truth with appreciation. Material wealth goes up and down during our lifetimes but serving the Lord is always elegant and to be appreciated. Now I don't know about having a lot or having a little just all by themselves. Maybe it's hard to be happy that way. Thought-provoking WW once again. FROM JACK: Another thought-provoking question: "What brings the most joy to your life?"

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: That is a good one...I read the WWs every day, and they are all good, but sometimes a WW just stands up and screams at me. We've discussed this before, but it simply reinforces how powerful a positive attitude is... FROM JACK: It sounds like Mark Twain, but someone said, "A fella's about as happy as he wants to be."

FROM MOLINER CF: Is Buffett trying to tell us that he is not happy? I remember on a recent interview, he was asked why he bought a railroad. "Because my dad wouldn't buy me a train set when I was a kid," was his reply. I guess the size of the boys is judged by the size of their toys. FROM JACK: I don't pretend to know what's in Warren's mind, but most of the time I know when to take things literally. In reading the Bible, it's like that, too....Trying to figure out what's in the mind of the writer and When to take things literally or figuratively.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: Amen. FROM JACK: Just like my sermons....A few "Amens" here and there (said quietly). I hope that's the way it is...the Amens, I mean. I went to a Pentecostal church a couple of weeks ago, and they were shouted out. Ask Cliff if they shout "Amens ' at his church. RESPONSE FROM CLIFF AT WESTMONT: They don't at my church but I'll give you a hearty amen for today's words. We had Condoleeza Rice speak at a Westmont breakfast last Friday. In addition to being a good Presbyterian, she's an optimist, much like Ronald Reagan. Grew up the daughter of a sharecropper in Alabama. Loved her outlook on life and her positive attitude, even when when she had little. MORE FROM NEWPORT: See what comes out of the woodwork with a little Amen.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I very wise statement from a very wise guy! We have been talking a lot about
happiness and blessings lately in the family and this statement will be sent to everyone in the group! FROM JACK: I've said it before, and it bears repeating.....Those who are happy will clap their hands, stamp their feet, and say, AMEN!

FROM SH IN ILLINOIS: I love this quote. We had a period of about two years where my husband was either unemployed or underemployed. We had to give up a lot and even leave our home for a smaller one. McDonald's food was a luxury item for us. But, our best Christmas was during this time. I didn't shop, didn't send out cards, didn't stress over making a fancy dinner, etc. My biggest concern was that I'd have no explanation for our small children why Santa didn't come and then a neighbor decided we would be the family she helped that year. The gifts under our tree were a beautiful sight, given freely, graciously, selflessly. The six of us drew names and exchanged gifts of ourselves, our time. My husband and I gave our kids coupons for snowball fights, Barbie fashion shows, sledding, etc. The kids made their gifts. One of my most precious treasures is a picture of an angel I helped our 5-year-old make with his handprint. Yes, that was our poorest
Christmas financially, but our richest in so many other ways, all the ways that count. FROM JACK: I think that the S.S.H.P. should send each of you a membership card.

FROM SH WHO IS SH'S HUSBAND: "The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least." FROM JACK: You should let Warren Buffet and Bill Gates know that. I like it that they are encouraging wealthy people, like themselves, to much of their wealth away. Like you said, Who needs it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always found a lot of joy in the Apostle Paul's WW I've learned to be content with a lot and also content with a little. There's a truth with appreciation. Material wealth goes up and down during our lifetimes but serving the Lord is always elegant and to be appreciated. Now I don't know about having a lot or having a little just all by themselves. Maybe it's hard to be happy that way. Thought-provoking WW once again.
S.H. in MI

Suzheronemus said...

I love this quote. We had a period of about two years where my husband was either unemployed or underemployed. We had to give up a lot and even leave our home for a smaller one. McDonald's food was a luxury item for us. But, our best Christmas was during this time. I didn't shop, didn't send out cards, didn't stress over making a fancy dinner, etc. My biggest concern was that I'd have no explanation for our small children why Santa didn't come and then a neighbor decided we would be the family she helped that year. The gifts under our tree were a beautiful sight, given freely, graciously, selflessly. The six of us drew names and exchanged gifts of ourselves, our time. Steve and I gave our kids coupons for snowball fights, Barbie fashion shows, sledding, etc. The kids made their gifts. One of my most precious treasures is a picture of an angel I helped our 5-year-old make with his handprint. Yes, that was our poorest Christmas financially, but our richest in so many other ways, all the ways that count.