Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Winning Words 2/22/11
“I don’t care too much for money. Money can’t buy me love.” (Paul McCartney) One problem with
songs by The Beatles is that the tunes are so good that we often miss the great lyrics. This is one of those instances. “Yesterday” and “Hey, Jude” are others. Wanting “love” is the underlying theme of many of their popular songs. Maybe they’re popular, because that’s what many of us want. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Great lyrics!!!! What a lot of us want in this materialistic world is love but also I don't care TOO MUCH for money. All this fighting about it now, it's very destabilizing and now trying to look back wonder if the Beatles were pining for more love and less love of money back then too. A good message for us, our bankers, our corporations, our congress, our governors, our unions, our doctors, our insurance people, our hospitals, our schools, our churches, our military, Judas, who else can I think of.....thanks for a stirring WW.
FROM JACK: From the musical, "Cabaret," the song, "Money, money," seems to fit.

Money makes the world go around
The world go around
The world go around
Money makes the world go around
It makes the world go 'round.

A mark, a yen, a buck, or a pound
A buck or a pound
A buck or a pound
Is all that makes the world go around,
That clinking clanking sound
Can make the world go 'round.

Money money money money money money
Money money money money money money
Money money money money money money
Money money

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: Of course “Hey Jude” is one my favorites. And the I do love the Beatles. Have a nice day. The sky is as blue as an Easter egg and the sun is shining, what could be better. FROM JACK: I'm wondering. What do I like best about The Beatles...the music or the words? I guess it's the music, first!

FROM BLAZING OAKS: So true! LOVE makes the world go round, and how desolate are those who seek for that all of their lives, and never really know the love of friends and family. And those who haven't received love, can't give it, either, as usually their lives are so warped. Not always, and being in the work of sharing faith in God, we have seen some real miracles of love blossoming in formerly destitute lives! "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you"...says Jesus! FROM JACK: Two references in the Bible speak to me of love...."We love, because he first loved us" and "Love the Lord with all your heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbor as you love YOURSELF." Some have the notion that loving yourself is a sin.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: couldn't say it better FROM JACK: Love is a many splendored thing which leaves room for various descriptions.

BACKGROUND OF "HEY, JUDE" FROM JACK: Paul McCartney wrote this as "Hey Jules," a song meant to comfort John Lennon's 5-year-old son Julian as his parents were getting a divorce. The change to "Jude" was inspired by the character "Jud" in the musical Oklahoma!. McCartney loves show tunes. In 1987 Julian ran into Paul in New York City when they were staying at the same hotel and he finally heard Paul tell him the story of the song first-hand. He admitted to Paul that growing up, he'd always felt closer to him than to his own father. In Steve Turner's book The Stories Behind Every Beatles Song, Julian said: "Paul told me he'd been thinking about my circumstances, about what I was going through and what I'd have to go through. Paul and I used to hang out quite a bit - more than Dad and I did... There seem to be far more pictures of me and Paul playing at that age than me and Dad. I've never really wanted to know the truth of how Dad was and how he was with me. There was some very negative stuff - like when he said that I'd come out of a whisky bottle on a Saturday night. That's tough to deal with. You think, where's the love in that? It surprises me whenever I hear the song. It's strange to think someone has written a song about you. It still touches me." (Thanks to our Beatles expert Pattie Noah - check her out at luvmedeux.com.)

FROM MOLINE CF: Bacharach and David said it best, "What the world needs now." FROM JACK: Love-- but at what cost? It is a good song, regardless.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: "Most stress is caused by three things: money, family and family with no money" by Maxine. I had just read that cartoon before I read your email. It made me laugh of course. We didn't have much money growing up but we sure had a lot of love. Today, we have enough and we also have a ton of love. (For Christmas, we bought our grandsons the movie "Second-Hand Lions". It's a wonderful movie about money and love.) FROM JACK: "We didn't have much money," reminds me of Lorretta Lynn's song, "Coal Miner's Daughter."

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Maybe it's also what they were looking for.. FROM JACK: I think that it's the ubiquitous quest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great lyrics!!!! What a lot of us want in this materialistic world is love but also I don't care TOO MUCH for money. All this fighting about it now, it's very destabilizing and now trying to look back wonder if the Beatles were pining for more love and less love of money back then too. A good message for us, our bankers, our corporations, our congress, our governors, our unions, our doctors, our insurance people, our hospitals, our schools, our churches, our military, Judas, who else can I think of.....thanks for a stirring WW.
S.H. in MI