Monday, January 03, 2011

Winning Words 1/3/11
“Three simple rules: 1) Do no harm. 2) Do good. 3) Stay in love with God.” (Reuben Job – Retired Methodist Bishop) Rev Bob quoted this in the newsletter of the local Methodist Church. I think that it’s pretty good advice for beginning a happy new year. In one sense, the rules are quite simple, but when we think about them and their implications, we have our work cut out for us. ;-) Jack

FROM KF IN MICHIGAN: My choice for most meaningful 'tip' of the year... :) FROM JACK: Yes, I thought that it was a good one, too.

FROM JO IN MICHIGAN: Yes, that sounds simple, but, as we know, "things are not as easy as we think"... FROM JACK: Just take it, one day at a time!

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: My choice also for most meaningful 'tip' of the year. That "do no harm" is a stickler. In this fast-paced hectic lifestyle so many of us have, how hard it is to live a life of self-examination and reflection. Even just good stewardship of our natural resources is a daunting task--you know finding all about what that entails and so forth. Staying in love with God and only counting on His help. FROM JACK: Who defines, good? I suppose, "Love the Lord your God, and love your neighbor...as you love yourself," is a good definition.

FROM MOLINER CF: Rule Four: Don't forget the first three. FROM JACK: Now, you've made it complex.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: How about..."Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors and let each new year find you a better man". Benjamin Franklin. The same thing only different. FROM JACK: Pretty soon you'll be getting us up to Ten Rules.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: Sounds good to me, and I'd like to follow them. But I cannot keep them all the time --- for sure. FROM JACK: I'm reminded of The Little Engine That Could...."I think I can, I think I can; I know I can, I know I can. You can, if you think you can. MORE FROM HAWKEYE: I wouldn't have started my business in my basement if I hadn't thought I CAN.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: I started to read ww just now. I wondered why they seemed so familiar until I realized I had gotten WBUMC newsletter also (and do read it.) FROM JACK: I wonder how long it will be before you discover another one of my sources.

FROM PRDL IN OREGON: Thanks for 2010's valuable "Winning Words". The last two are among the best!
FROM JACK: Thanks for the feedback. First of all, the WWs have to be pleasing to me. It's just like preaching a sermon. Maybe satisfactory is a better word than, pleasing.

FROM DH IN MICHIGAN: This set of rules is not unlike those from Micah.
"He has told you, O man, what is good,
And what God requires of you:
Only to do justice
And to love goodness,
And to walk humbly with God."
Micah 6:8
FROM JACK: I remember being introduced to them in seminary days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My choice also for most meaningful 'tip' of the year. That "do no harm" is a stickler. In this fast-paced hectic lifestyle so many of us have, how hard it is to live a life of self-examination and reflection. Even just good stewardship of our natural resources is a daunting task--you know finding all about what that entails and so forth.
Staying in love with God and only counting on His help.
S.H. in MI