Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winning Words 1/18/11
“The discontented man finds no easy chair.” (Ben Franklin) BF’s birthday was yesterday (1706). He’s known for his pungent proverbs and short sayings. Liesa sent a few to me last week which she found while looking for other stuff.. Based on today’s quote, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ben had a “Type A” personality. He’d probably enjoy the Porgy & Bess song, “I can’t sit down.” Are you like that? ;-) Jack

I CAN'T SIT DOWN - From Porgy & Bess
I can't sit down
Oh I can't sit down
I gotta keep a goin' like the flowin' of a song
Oh I can't sit down
I guess I'll take my honey an' her sunny smile along

Today I am gay an' I'm free
Oh just a bubblin,' nothin' troubblin' me
Oh I can't sit down
I can't sit down



FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Isn't it wonderful God gave us these men who began this great nation? Can you imagine it being born today? Yow....it's too scary even to think about. Most of the first fathers had to be type "A" and committed to their calling! My parents loved their Almanac and got one from one of us kids each year at Christmas for as long as I can remember. (Gosh, I must be contented because I love my Lazy-Boy!) FROM JACK: "Sayings from Poor Richard's Almanack" is a book that I keep near my computer. The Bible's there, too, along with the dictionary.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I have had trouble "switching gears" since my Mother passed. I am being reminded of that by people around me. As I was cleaning up after the holidays there was only one Dove candy left in a dish that I wanted to put away so I ate it. The message that was on the wrapper was "It is okay to slow down". I thought that was pretty amazing! FROM JACK: I'm sure that your mom would say, "It's OK to move on." The Dove "message" is a good one, too. Mmmmm. Good candy.

FROM MKH IN MICHIGAN: I often wonder how different things would be if he were here with us now. FROM JACK: Did you mean GOD or MLK?

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I must be like that because, at first read I felt chastisement. Didn't occur to me that Ben was referring to himself. If he was, did he feel guilty? or was he content knowing himself so well. Did he find justification for all of his discontentment and feel it was serving him and his country well? I've been too long away from my knitting and reading in my easy chair--good antidotes to discontentment. Maybe Ben
had his options too. FROM JACK: Just like with Goldilocks and the three bears....We each sit in the chair that's most comfortable for us. We are each contented or discontented, depending on life's circumstances.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: Peter Drucker said that, "Managers should be uncomfortable. If they are comfortable, they are not doing their job." FROM JACK: Peter had probably read Ben's Almanack.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I imagine we have all been discontented at some point, and it does make one restless! Good old Ben F. He was a complex and fascinating man. I sympathize with his poor wife, who never seemed to get his attentions for more than a few minutes! He was all wrapped up in his own life and world...I would guess I have the type A personality, multi-tasking and on the go a lot, tho old-age tends to simmer that down! :-) My first and third sons are go-getters, and my 2nd son and daughter (#4) take more after
their laid-back Dad. But all are movers and shakers in their fields...?! Good quote on B.F's b.day! FROM JACK: Ben was a mover and a shaker, but he needed to pay attention to the home front, also.

FROM MOLINER CF: Old proverb: Man who does not land in easy chair finds self on easy street FROM JACK: Is that why you're living on Easy Street?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must be like that because, at first read I felt chastisement. Didn't occur to me that Ben was referring to himself. If he was, did he feel guilty? or was he content knowing himself so well. Did he find justification for all of his discontentment and feel it was serving him and his country well? I've been too long away from my knitting and reading in my easy chair--good antidotes to discontentment. Maybe Ben had his options too.
S.H. in MI