Saturday, December 25, 2010

Winning Words 12/25/10
One of my favorite Christmas songs was written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow during the
Civil War. The message was appropriate for that time and continues to be appropriate for our time. “God is not dead, nor doth he sleep.” ;-) Jack

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!


FROM RI IN BOSTON: How "sweet the words" that you've repeated here on this Christmas Day. That song has always been a favorite of mine too, and I've never known that Longfellow wrote it. Thanks for bringing that out. (We happen to live less than a mile from Longfellow's historic home here in Cambridge.) FROM JACK: If I were living in the Boston area, I might drive by the HWL house and remember the gift that Henry has given to us to help us remember the reason for the season. But I'm not in Boston.

FROM RS IN TEXAS: Good one - thanks for helping us keep the faith FROM JACK: To keep the faith, we must share the faith...."you in your small corner, and I, in mine"....quoting a line from a Sunday School song.

FROM DK IN MICHIGAN: When Christmas fell on a Sunday, we always sang that. From the Junior Hymnal, I think. FROM JACK: You're right! #108, and on the same page as "When Christmas Morn Is Dawning."

FROM THE JUDGE: A lovely poem for then as well as now. I for you and yours all the joys of the season and may the coming year be fruitful as well as healthy. FROM JACK: With your interest in "haiku" and the use of words, in general, I'm not surprised that you would find meaning in Longfellow's poem.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: I love that one too, Jack. FROM: I love the words and like the tune. I especially like the lilt of the tune as it brings to mind the pealing of bells.

FROM PRFM IN WISCONSIN: One of my favorites also makes reference to bells . . . Nikolai Grundtvig’s carol, “The Bells of Christmas chime once more . . ..”, # 298 LBW. All the verses are so meaningful. FROM JACK: It would be interesting to make a list of Christmas songs that have bells mentioned in them.

FROM SB IN MICHIGAN: That's one of my favorites, too. Wish it were sung more often during Christmas worship. FROM JACK: Most pastors like to have hymn suggestions from worshippers. Why not ask your pastor if this hymn could be sung in January...stressing the "peace" theme?

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: Like this one and enjoyed the 4 am exchanges last week. FROM JACK: Did you actually call your Westmont friend at 4 am, or did you just talk about doing it?

FROM PRJD IN MINNESOTA: LAST WEEK AT A SING ALONG I TOLD THE STORY OF HWL'S POEM I HEARD
THE BELLS ON CHRISTMAS DAY. IT CERTAINLY IS CURRENT. HOPE YOUR TIME WITH EMMANUEL WAS JOYOUS. FROM JACK: A story like that certainly makes the hymn more relevant.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: That is one of my daughter and my favorite carols as well! In fact we sang it on Christmas Eve with our family! Small world! FROM JACK: What a great way for a family to add to the Christmas celebration. BTW, speaking of small worlds, a friend of mine, Pastor Jack Anderson and his wife have moved from Florida to Parsfield Park Pl in Springfield. Have you heard of that place?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a nice surprise this very, very, very early Christmas morning!!!! Merry Christmas!!!!
S.H. in MI, 1:26 a.m.