Friday, December 24, 2010

Winning Words 12/24/10
“It came without ribbons; it came without tags. It came without packages, boxes, or bags. Christmas can’t be bought in a store. Maybe Christmas means a little bit more." (Dr. Seuss) I thought carefully about what quote to use for Christmas Eve. The words of this “Lutheran” childrens author seemed just right. The Grinch can’t steal the real Christmas. It’s locked in the heart. ;-) Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: Merry Christmas, Jack. I've enjoyed your words thru this year, like I have in prior years. When did you start doing this? FROM JACK: When I retired in 1992, my youngest daughter gave me a CD of positive quotes. After reading them, I decided to share a few with some friends. Then, I decided to search for more. There are now more than 400 "friends" who receive my "Winning Words."

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I love knowing now that Dr. Seuss is a Lutheran!!!! Will google today and find out more. Christmas is locked in the heart. The Grinch isn't stealing it from us. Yesterday, we were on our way to Ikea and passing by a truck, the back wheel must have kicked up a rock onto our rear right passenger window. Shattered the whole glass. I immediately heard the wind blowing in and thought the whole door had opened and Brenda was in danger of falling out. Jerry drove carefully to the Glass Doctor and we were able to get the window fixed for a reasonable price. Just counted our blessings and especially that Christmas is locked in our hearts and we're together through thick and thin. Must read Dr. Seuss some more and put his books in our church library. Merry Christmas FROM JACK: Christmas is not only locked in the heart. It's all around us in the spirit of people like you and your family, as you act as God's angels.

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO: A good one! FROM JACK: "Promise yourself to be so strong that...." you can see the good in Christmas, in the world, and in people.

FROM JB IN MICHIGAN: Great quote for the occasion. Merry Christmas. FROM JACK: I see that the Detroit Free Press used a portion of the quote as part of today's editorial cartoon.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: And it has never been truer for me than this year. Thanks for picking this quote! FROM JACK: Words can mean different things to different people. Since this is a "special" Christmas for you, Christmas will have a "special" meaning.

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: I love your quotes and your blog. Thank you for your wisdom! FROM JACK: WWs provides a connection for us. I'm thankful for that. May it continue in 2011.

FROM JJH IN OHIO: one of my favorite lines! FROM JACK: Isn't interesting that adults seem to enjoy the Seuss stories as much as children do.

FROM RS IN MICHIGAN: I LOVE today's quote! Grinch is one of my favorites. The story is so meaningful, really. Merry Christmas FROM JACK: I think you have to "pay attention" to get the message that is beyond the story in the Seuss books. It's that way with the Bible, too.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: You did a mighty fine job of finding the perfect Christmas Eve message. Have a wonderfully blessed Christmas to you and your family and your blog friends also! FROM JACK: There are many quotes to choose from, but few that capture my imagination. This was one of them. MORE FROM JUDY: I can quote so many of the whole BOOKS by memory from Seuss as I read them over and over to my kids. In fact, Andy was reading them by 2! Once in awhile the kids and I do resite them and it's a hoot!!! (They remember better than I do of course.)

FROM DR IN MICHIGAN: I can accually respond to this WW on the day I received it! Since it is now coming to my home email address I don't check it every day but your WW are always something I look forward to. Thank you for sending them. Today's is perfect! I wanted to share with you something a friend of mine told me recently. I occasionally pass your WW on to her when I think it is one she would enjoy. Recently she informed me she goes on your blog every day to read the winning words. One of them moved her enough
to pass it on to me! So, I just wanted to let you know you are touching even more people then you know. Thanks for being such a blessing!!! FROM JACK: You make me feel like Johnny Appleseed who lived about 250 years ago. Legend says that he went around sowing appleseeds in our area. When we moved to West Bloomfield, there were still apple orchards around. I wonder if they were related to Johnny's seeds? Thanks for letting me know that the WWs are being shared with others.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: The simple stuff is the best! FROM JACK: I'll bet you still have some things that your daughter made for you when she was a little child. Some of our tree ornaments were made by our children.
FROM JACK:
I'll bet you still have some things that your daughter made for you when she was a little child. Some of our tree ornaments were made by our children.

FROM MOLINER CF: "And the star that shone that cold winter's night, has since made our futures ever so bright." FROM JACK: That's a good thought for this day. Thanks

FROM ED IN ARIZONA (?): Merry Christmas. You should listen to this review of The Grinch on NPR...i think you would appreciate and enjoy it very much.
http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2010-12-22/readers-review-how-grinch-stole-christmas-dr-seuss
Also, I'm not sure if you have heard this before, but Dr. Suess wrote a prayer for the Dec 23rd issues of Collier's Magazine along with a page of beautiful artwork. It was mentioned on the radio broadcast above. I think it will be one of our prayers on Christmas Day.
A Prayer for a Child by Dr. Suess
From here on earth,
From my small place
I ask of You
Way out in space:
Please tell all men
In every land
What You and I
Both understand . . .
Please tell all men
That Peace is Good.
That's all
That need be understood
In every world
In Your great sky.
(We understand.
Both You and I.)
FROM JACK: As soon as I finish my mail ("e" kind), I'll be checking out the link. Thanks for the tip. Here's a copy of the prayer that we'll be using at our table tonight.
Father, We thank Thee for this day. Bless all we do and all we say.
May we each enjoy Thy blessings great As Jesus' Birth we celebrate.
And may the love that we share here Remain throughout the coming year.
Amen!

FROM CJL IN OHIO: You are so right! God Jul!

FROM JJH IN OHIO: I'm a big Suess fan... I actually think he was talking to adults in man of his works! FROM JACK: I think that you're right about the "adult" thing. ED IN AZ sent an NPR link which is a discussion on Seuss by Seuss "experts." It's worth listening to, when you've got 50 minutes. I intended to listen just briefly, but got hooked.

FROM JMG IN MINNESOTA: We never knew that Dr. Seuss was a Lutheran. This is a good quote as are so many that you share. We continue to learn from your daily sharing. FROM JACK: Click on ED's link to get further information about Seuss's faith quest.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: And our hearts are open and full of love. FROM JACK: How silently, how silently The wondrous gift is given! So God imparts to human hearts The blessings of His heaven.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love knowing now that Dr. Seuss is a Lutheran!!!! Will google today and find out more. Christmas is locked in the heart. The Grinch isn't stealing it from us. Yesterday, we were on our way to Ikea and passing by a truck, the back wheel must have kicked up a rock onto our rear right passenger window. Shattered the whole glass. I immediately heard the wind blowing in and thought the whole door had opened and Brenda was in danger of falling out. Jerry drove carefully to the Glass Doctor and we were able to get the window fixed for a reasonable price. Just counted our blessings and especially that Christmas is locked in our hearts and we're together through thick and thin. Must read Dr. Seuss some more and put his books in our church library. Merry Christmas, Pastor Freed!!!!!!!
S.H. in MI