Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winning Words 12/22/10
“It’s the friends that you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.” (Marlene Dietrich) This famous movie star had a life of fame and fortune. However, as it sometimes happens, the last years were not pleasant ones. She died at age 90, secluded and bed-ridden for 11 years. But she did have a few close friends, and I would not be surprised if she called one or more of them at 4 am. That’s what friends are for. ;-) Jack

FROM BURT BACHARACH
Keep smilin', keep shinin'
Knowin' you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for

FROM YOOPER PO: And blessed are we that have them! FROM JACK: The 4 a.m. call is the determining factor.

FROM JC IN HONG KONG: I think you turn off your phone at 9pm, right? FROM JACK: To call me at 4 am, you'd have to pick up your phone at 5 pm. Or better yet, I could pick up the phone at 3 pm and call you.

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO: Remember when you took us to the airport at about that time of the morning FROM JACK: Friends who do things for friends aren't aware of the time.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I am always happy to chat @ 4 a.m. That's why I love texting and IMing. Technology is gr8! FROM JACK: I don't mind getting 4 am e-mails, but when the phone rings at that time, I know that it must be important...or a wrong number.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Make new friends but keep the old One is silver and the other one's gold! (An old Girl Scout song.) FROM JACK: Because you remember that song, does it mean that you're an old Girl Scout? Just wondering....

FROM AA IN MICHIGAN: Hope you are a light sleeper, I'm up many times at 4 a.m. looking someone to call. I've got your number in my Fav 10. FROM JACK: I've had a few 4 am calls, and they usually jolt you more than an alarm clock.

FROM NK IN THE U.P.: MY SWEETHEART IS SPENDING HIS 3rd CHRISTMAS IN THE VETERANS HOME .I
HAVE ONLY 1 MILE TO DRIVE. AND HAVE SUPPER WITH HIM. SUCH WONDERFUL FRIENDS TO GIVE ME
SUPPORT AND LOVE. WE ARE BLESSED THAT OUR DULUTH DAUGHTER AND HUSBAND ARE COMING TOMORROW ::LADEN WITH WITH SWEDISH MEATBALLS, ETC. FROM JACK: Friends, family and Swedish meatballs. What blessings!

FROM MOLINER CF: Wouldn't it be fun to start calling people you thought were friends at 4 AM and see who's left standing? FROM JACK: That would not be a "friendly" thing to do.

FROM PRFM IN WISCONSIN: Or a friend who sends a word every day at 4:30 am! That is really a friend!
FROM JACK: It's really 5:30 am, my time.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: i plan to call you tomorrow morning about 4 a.m. (if i am awake) FROM JACK: If you're in need, you'll be awake.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Reminds me of the line in the song, "That's What Friends are For"...My husband sometimes got calls in the dead of night...he could just talk to who ever called and then fall right back to sleep, (if it didn't mean getting up and going out...) while I lay there bug-eyed, taking what seemed like forever to go back to sleep. I would say if you got a call at 4:00 A.M., it'd better be a very good friend, or a very needy
person who had nowhere to turn... It's happened to me on occasion, but not often. I can't recall if I've had to call people, other than my son when my sister and her husband had emergencies, at that hour...? Hopefully not! FROM JACK: As Marlene said, "It's the friends that matter most." They're the ones you can call at anytime, day or night, and they won't mind...because they care. Dionne Warwick sang it well, "That's what friends are for."

No comments: