Friday, December 17, 2010

Winning Words 12/17/10
“There is always room at the top.” (Daniel Webster) Leo Durocher’s comment, “Nice guys finish last,” isn’t necessarily true. Recently I heard a local TV business reporter talk about some of the leaders, including U.S. presidents, that he has met. “One thing that I noticed about them was that they were really nice people.” Niceness doesn’t have to be a weakness. Have you met some “nice” successful people? ;-) Jack

FROM SF IN MICHIGAN: Ruth Holmes, nationally renown handwriting analyst, gave me some advice when she analyzed my handwriting: 'Too nice is too stupid' (She said it in French). In other words, going overboard, to your own detriment, is not so good. I also like the Chinese saying: 'Smile with teeth'. And regarding enemies: 'Kill em with kindness!' You can probably tell that I have thought a lot about being nice...which I try very hard to be!
FROM JACK: Early on, I learned the difference in spelling principle and principal. The school principal should be the students' "pal." No one ever looked at my handwriting and called it nice.

FROM IE IN MICHIGAN: Because of my "day job" I've not only met many "nice" people, but I've had an opportunity to interview them & they are not only nice but they are also intelligent..
FROM JACK: Like you, I've gotten to meet and talk with many people from a variety of backgrounds. Most of them are very nice.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Had lunch in a speakers room in 1984 with Art Linkletter, Washington DC, just the two of us. It would be hard to imagine a nicer person. He was the Keynote Speaker and I had a 10 minute part with one of the lessor known speakers. FROM JACK: Billy Graham spoke to the Detroit Economic Club, and I had some one on one time with him afterward. We talked about his visit to Moline, IL, when both of us were young people. He remembered the details of that time. We had a "nice" conversation.

FROM MOLINER CF: It's the nice ones who STAY at the top. FROM JACK: Sometimes. MORE FROM CF: My daddy always used to say, "Be nice to the janitor on the way up. You may meet him on the way down." FROM JACK: I thought that it was first said by Abe Ryser.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Many nice successful people, and of course some not so nice.. If people are happy with themselves, they are usually nice to others.They are not jealous of some other person's success, or comparing themselves to you in a competitive way. I find that successful, confident people are usually very good and interesting company! FROM JACK: In your many travels, who are some "nice" successful people that you've met?

No comments: