Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Winning Words 12/1/10
“Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I’m not there, I go to work.” (Robert Orben—Nightengale.com) What is it that makes one rich? I’m sure that Bill Gates doesn’t lounge around all day in his PJs. Why not keep a scrap of paper by your computer today and jot down the valuable things in your life? Maybe you’ll find that you’re as rich as Bill. ;-) Jack

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Last Friday I woke up really feeling terrible. I had gotten a really bad cold and it had totally settled in. I lounged the whole day in my PJs. I slept practically all day long. I didn't shower or shave or even brush my teeth....ate almost nothing. Lounging around in one's PJs is not a great way to live!!!

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I think the Bible story of The Widow's Mite is relevant here. She gave what she could
afford to give. In our home we give to benefit others, to the degree that we can afford to give. What I admire in Bill and Melinda Gates (and other such philanthropists) is their decision to give the money away. You can feel "rich" when you take pleasure in giving away. FROM JACK: What I like about the "widow" story is that she did not give what she could "afford" to give. I still have a a ways to go. Having said that, I do admire Bill and Melinda and how they are trying to inspire other "rich" people to do the same. MORE FROM RI: You're correct...she gave because she wanted to help somehow with what she had. FROM JACK: O. Henry's stories often had endings like some of the stories Jesus told.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: "You are rich when you are satisfied with what you have." FROM JACK: You may have missed it, but someone wrote on the blog recently that her husband put a saying on their refrigerator: "WANT WHAT YOU HAVE, AND YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE WHAT YOU WANT." Good advice for all of us.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: God's Work, our hands. I just keep trying to remember and live into that. FROM JACK: I'm still working on God's Word: "Love one another, as I have loved you."

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: well, george bailey was " the richest man in town" according to his wealthy brother. FROM JACK: Ahhhh, the old philosophical question: "What is it that makes one wealthy?" It's about time to take another look at that old movie, "It's a Wonderful Life."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Loved this one! Most people have what they have because of what they do to earn it. Some aren't so fortunate but work hard. And some live off of others because they have learned to do so. So many times we are judged by what we have or don't have and not who we are! Our family is truly blessed by who we have and not what we have. I will make that list and it will be a long one! FROM JACK: Sometimes we don't practice what we preach. Thanks for the reminder to start my own list.

FROM YOOPER P.O.: Hands down --- richer (I don't even have to make a list). FROM JACK: You're right! When the list is "etched" in your mind, you don't to put it on paper. Are pasties on your list?

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: My Grandfather Lindquist was a poor western New York farmer, Father of nine children [my Dad was child 3]. I can still recall his words when he told me that his children made him the richest man alive. FROM JACK: Add to the list of valuables.....a mind that can take WWs and cause you to member your grandfather and his wise words. God is good!

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: Did you see "This Week" with the the interview of Warren Buffett, Ted Turner, and Bill-Melinda Gates? They are forming a movement among Billionaires called "The Pledge." Over 90% of there fortunes are going to Philanthropy. It was amazing to me to hear each one say..."We are not paying enough in taxes. We feel it's our moral obligation to do something worthwhile with the money and not just give it to our
children our keep it in the bank. It was amazing! FROM JACK: I did not see it, but I heard of it. I also heard that not all who were contacted bought into the idea of altruism. I agree with the idea of paying taxes to help support our way of life. At the same time, I respect the right of others to believe that taxes are t5oo high. That's what democracy is about. I commend Warren, Ted, Bill and Melinda for taking the initiative.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: This brought a smile! A bit of wry humor, we all enjoy. I feel I have worked very hard in my day, when teachers (and preachers) were not highly paid, but as we age, I know we consider ourselves rich in health, relationships, family, and opportunities we've had to travel and see the world...If we are comfortably well off, we are rich enough! Bill (and I'm sure you also) counseled many wealthy people who were not happy. In fact one very wealthy senator (*he was Senate chaplain for 10 yrs) said, "Bill, I don't think I'll ever be happy again." He was going through a divorce, his children had problems, etc. so money didn't mean much... There are lots of things we cannot afford, but hey, WANT WHAT YOU HAVE, AND YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE WHAT YOU WANT! Right? FROM JACK: Life has a way of getting us to put things into perspective. The Bible has many stories on this subject.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God's Work, our hands. I just keep trying to remember and live into that.
Blessings,
S.H. in MI