Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Winning Words 11/23/10
“I will see it when I believe it.” (Dr Wayne Dyer) This is one quote that you might have to read twice in order to “see” it. In the comics, when someone gets the point, the artist draws a light bulb above the character. I know more about things “religious,” because Sunday School teachers and professors put light bulbs above my head. Think of some moments when you “saw the light,”. ;-) Jack

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Love it!! This is one of my favorites--i just didn't know who said it! FROM JACK: Dyer usually comes up with thought-provoking comments.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: What an interesting comment. I think his belief in God is a lot different than mine. But I love the comment. I'll ponder it some today! FROM JACK: God has a relationship with each of his creations. It would surprise me if "one size fits all."

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I remember saying once "I asked for proof that I might have faith, I was given faith that I would need no proof." FROM JACK: I quoted a seminary professor before on this subject: "You can't find God at the end of a logical syllogism."

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: So true. Way back in 1970, shortly before a friend and I founded the glass studio, I did extensive reading on the history of stained glass. One book in particular, called 'Adventures in Light and Color' by Charles Connick, made me believe that organizing light and color--through design and symbolic representation--can have a beneficial impact on mind and spirit. I feel that this is why I 'saw' the many opportunities that eventually led me to making artwork for places of worship. FROM JACK: This exemplified by the beautiful art glass windows that you designed for Holy Spirit Lutheran Church. The DOVE window is one where you have to believe it before you "see" it.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: if only we'd open our eyes... FROM JACK: "If only..." precedes many decisions in life; thankfully, most of us (with God's guidance) have made some good choices.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: i have often used this quote to explain the nature of faith. there are simply some things in life that we will never "see" until we first take that leap of faith and believe, as best we are able. FROM JACK: Some people approach a Bible Study in similar fashion. They are fearful of what they might "see." Others are excited and interested in new vistas. The teacher's task is interesting, to say the least.

FROM LK IN NEW HAMPSHIRE: Whether it be in scenic beauty, new and ongoing relationships, through the eyes of street people you and I encounter, volunteering in the cancer community, indeed, God showers blessing after blessing, continually transforming His creation, including yours truly. He always brings me safely to way station after way station, so to speak. I am one of the most blessed imaginable.........your friendship, Jack, is an unwavering part of this blessing. The WINNING WORDS you have shared with your
friends daily for so many years now remain a source of growth and encouragement. Just marvelous of you to keep this up. I likely speak for us all in sharing our gratitude, at Thanksgiving, and always.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: I did have to read that one twice! Good quote! FROM JACK: I suggested reading it twice, because in this fast-paced world, we sometimes miss some things, written, spoken or happening.

FROM CC IN MICHIGAN: I enjoy you winning words, they cause me to get up, dress up and show up. FROM JACK: When I send out WWs in the early AM, I think of those who are receiving them. I hope that they "mean" something to someone. At least, I enjoy the experience. The first step is to choose something that I think is worthwhile. It's like the sower in the Bible. He throws out the seed. Some falls on rocks; some falls among weeds; and some falls on good soil and bears fruit.

FROM MOLINER CF: Had an artist once who was prone to staring at his drawing board for great periods of time. One time I got impatient and asKed him what he was doing. "Thinking", he replied. To which I responded, "It's time you thought about getting the job done. " The lIght bulb went on and no more daydreaming. Sometimes people mistake daydreaming for thinking. FROM JACK: The manager (boss) has to be perceptive enough to know the difference. Some companies don't need the perfect idea. For the bottom line, "close is good enough."

FROM IE IN MICHIGAN: Another "spin" on this quotation: "The next worst thing to a blind believer is a seeing denier."

No comments: