Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Winning Words 11/16/10
“Where there is love, there is pain.” (Spanish Proverb) “Heartache” is a term often used to describe mental and physical symptoms associated with falling in (or out of) love. Psychiatrists might call it something else, but those who have experienced it, probably know that heartache describes it best. You might be able to Google one of my favorites: “Heartaches,” whistled by Elmo Tanner. ;-) Jack

FROM BC IN MICHIGAN: I listened to/found him whistling. Joe called down the stairs in a confused tone, Mom is that you??? Or the computer? How funny. He couldn't figure it out. He thought for a second it was me whistling along to the music! Ha. Wow though. That Elmo was a great whistler. He sounded like a bird! FROM JACK: It seems that whistling has become a lost art. Do you remember Whistler's Mother?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Haven't checked out Tanner yet but will soon. We were never promised love with out sorrow, life without pain...but love does cover all pain in the end. It's God's promise. FROM JACK: I promise that you will enjoy Elmo's whistling on the video. You might even tap your foot to the music. MORE FROM JUDY: I notice the Winning Words have been about heartbreak. Most, if not all of us have had heartbreaks in our lives. We do survive, even if we don't want to. God gives us the strength to handle what we need to handle. When I look at my own heartbreaks....it's amazing how I got through...only by the grace of God. FROM JACK: I think heartache is different that heartbreak. What do you think?

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I suppose those who love are vulnerable, because they care so much! I feel I have been inordinately lucky in the love category, but of course then there is the pain of separation! And the anxiety as our children, friends and close relatives go through the bumps of life...I would guess this Spanish saying has a lot of truth in it, but who wants to live without LOVE??! A Pain-free, but sterile life? Quite possibly, NO ONE...! FROM JACK: I've read that when engineers design roads, they try to avoid making them with long, straight smooth stretches. Not only are they boring, but they are also dangerous, because they tend to put people to sleep.

FROM MOLINER CF: How about the Mills Brothers' "I love you so much it hurts me." FROM JACK: I went back and listened to their version on U-Tube. I listened to several others, including Patsy Cline. The tune really does have a mournful and hurtful quality to it.

No comments: