Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Winning Words 10/26/10
“When you’re older, memories are all you have, so make them good ones.” (Linda Cook) Isn’t it interesting? We’re making tomorrow’s memories today. WOW! Linda is making her memories by helping others make theirs. She volunteers at an assisted living facility by playing cards with the elderly and just chatting with them about what’s happened in their life. I like the “Memory” song from CATS. ;-) Jack


MEMORY by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Daylight
See the dew on the sunflower
And a rose that is fading
Roses whither away
Like the sunflower
I yearn to turn my face to the dawn
I am waiting for the day . . .

Midnight
Not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan

Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

Every streetlamp
Seems to beat a fatalistic warning
Someone mutters
And the streetlamp gutters
And soon it will be morning

Daylight
I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life
And I musn't give in
When the dawn comes
Tonight will be a memory too
And a new day will begin

Burnt out ends of smoky days
The stale cold smell of morning
The streetlamp dies, another night is over
Another day is dawning

Touch me
It's so easy to leave me
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the sun
If you touch me
You'll understand what happiness is

Look
A new day has begun

FROM AP IN MICHIGAN: Memories are a very melancholy state of mind, too. FROM JACK: Melancholy is an interesting word. I like it. I remember hearing of a mother singing to her fussy newborn: "Come to me, my melan-colic baby."

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Your devotional reminds me of building up your reward in eternity now as in the example of a retirement account. FROM JACK: ......which reminds me of the biblical admonition: "Lay not up for yourself treasures on earth, where moth and rust corrupt and thieves break through and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven."

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: my brother johnny uses the phrase, "we're making memories", quite often. it makes me smile. FROM JACK: We probably didn't know it at the time, but when our families interacted years ago in Grayslake, we were making memories. I know that we made them, because I still have them.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Something happens every day that tweaks my memory about things I formerly did easily, which I now have difficulty with. Those memories are precious and have a way of making up for the loss of actually doing them now. There are also wonderful memories of persons who contributed a lot of happiness in my life, heartwarming memories that keep those individuals alive in my mind. There are a lot of old people with incredible stories to tell if we will only listen. FROM JACK: Just think....You are now having the exciting opportunity to be involved in making memories for your new granddaughter.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Wow, memories today. I will try to make some good no...some great ones today! I've already had some laughs with my sister Valerie and we talked about the windstorm coming. She wants to have my house with us inside blown to Grayling to live in her backyard. She have an abundance of irreplaceable memories between us. (I love the words and the melody to Memory from Cats. Just reading them on your blog brought back pardon the pun...memories. FROM JACK: I'll bet that you and your sister made some exciting memories in your younger "kid-days."

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: So appropriate! Was going to let you know about my Mother. She had a stroke on Sunday and will be on Hospice care here at home. We do not anticipate it lasting too long. Keep us in your prayers. FROM JACK: As Ecclesiastes 3 puts it: "There is a time." One of God's great gifts is the ability to remember. Your mom has given you so many fond memories...and I'm sure she would say that you and your family have given her many fond memories, too.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Do you remember: "God gives us memories so we can have roses in December" ? FROM JACK: Yes, I know the saying, and it's a good one. However, I have a florist friend who will provide roses in December....for a price.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Memories...Yes, I love that song: It is hauntingly beautiful! I like the saying today. I was supposed to have the memory of a two day bus trip to historic Galena today and tomorrow, but my trip partner and best friend became ill, and we had to cancel. Good thing we have so many family, friends and trip memories!! I was looking at some photos of the school musicals which I directed years ago, this morning, and it was precious to re-live some of those experiences! :-) One of the boys who played the lead in 3 of my productions, called to tell me that his son was carrying on the tradition by playing the lead in his H.S. musical ALL SHOOK UP this past weekend, so of course I had to go and cheer him on! Yes, memories....Lucky to have such good ones! FROM JACK: You have many deposits in your memory bank through the years, and now they're paying interest.

No comments: