Monday, October 25, 2010

Winning Words 10/25/10
“The fewer the men, the greater the share of honor.” (Shakespeare – Henry V) This has been a rallying cry to outnumbered troops going into battle…1415, 1854, 1944. They fought valiantly, because of inspired leadership. To be at a disadvantage does not mean we have to lose. There are times in life when we have to stick with something, despite the odds. This is also St. Crispin’s Day. ;-) Jack

FROM WB IN MICHIGAN: I thought you'd enjoy knowing that at our household we celebrate October 25th as being Saint Crispin's Day, with the purchase of shoes. Even though, Saint Crispin's Day was removed from the liturgical calendar by Vatican II, I understand that the they are still considered to be Saints. Regardless, in our house the boys always hear how these twin brothers earned their way as cobblers' while they spread
the Gospel. I have always found it to be a great way to work the purchase of winter boots into a reference point of how one can share the Good News, while carrying on a secular vocation. As I understood it they are the patron saint's of tradesmen and so I though them close enough to give my boys a little to think about.

The 25th is also the anniversary of The Battle of Agincourt in 1415, made famous in Shakespeare's Henry the V "The fewer men the greater share of honor . . . This story shall the good man teach his son; And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by . . . That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day." So I get two hits with the martyred twin Saints and my favorite play by William. A copy of this play is always somewhere near me, ever since I
first read it sometime in the late 1970's.

If that’s not enough I get to toss in the Crimean War as the Charge of the Light Brigade took place on October 25th in 1854. Now I get to read them Tennyson's poem and with it all the lessons and wonder that it invokes. "Forward the Light Brigade . . ." is also one of my favorites at one time I had it committed to memory however, my memory fails me more and more each day.

Three great lessons, I cannot ask for much more of just one simple date. I especially like the dichotomy of a victory and a defeat and with the twin brothers being both tradesmen and missionaries. Not to mention being exalted as saints and later losing much of their status after Vatican II. These lessons I leave mostly to the future for the boys to find for themselves.

Truly, October 25th is a great day to teach from especially when teaching to my boys. They remind me when the day grows near - - remembering that this is their chance to get new shoes, cleats, boots, slippers and whatever else they can make fit the occasion.

Just thought you might enjoy hearing about one of our family traditions.

FROM LP IN MICHIGAN: And now I've learned something about St. Crispin (and brother). Thanks as always.
FROM JACK: No day is a waste when you have learned something new. Having said that, I'm now going to be on the lookout.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: The air is certainly crisp in Boston today. FROM JACK: How about the toast?

FROM MOLINER CF: I'm sure you are aware of the Marine Corps' recruiting line, "A Few Good Men." FROM JACK: ...and don't forget, SEMPER FI! MORE FROM CF: Remember The Alamo FROM JACK: That, too!

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: Jack….A young colleague of mine died suddenly today…..this quote made me think of him. FROM JACK: I'm sorry to hear that. Not all heroes die in battle. A hero is someone who is admired because of noble qualities. "There is a time to laugh and a time to mourn."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Very good words today. It was interesting to read WB's words also. Thanks for the history! FROM JACK: By reading the blog, you get a chance to see what others are thinking. Friends of mine then become friends of yours.

FROM EA IN MICHIGAN: What is St. Crispin the patron saint of?. FROM JACK: Read the blog response from WB in Michigan.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: actually, when i am in a battle, i want all the help i can get. the heck with the honor. i just want to go home in one piece! FROM JACK: Life doesn't always work out like that.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: I enjoyed all I learned from WW and your blog today. It is time again to pick up Tennyson and Shakespeare. FROM JACK: Winning Words is more than entertainment. We can learn from one another, too.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I do a lot of walking. St. Crispin is, from now on, my most favorite Saint. That was a really interesting entry on your blog. FROM JACK: Mary's grandfather was a shoemaker, making shoes from scratch. He was especially good at making shoes for people with foot problems. He also made violins, sailboats and canoes. He was a rough-edged saint.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS:I'll have to look St. Crispin's day up on the internet. New to me. Baptists don't dwell much on St. days!I hate it that any man or woman has to go into battle in war. Of course we fight many
other battles, often outnumbered, in which as you say, we have to stand for the right, in spite of the odds. I read a quote from one of my much-admired women, Maya Angelou this morning which I like. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."Which has nothing to do with today's quote, but it's a good reminder...Also a funny one: "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?!Debi Disque of Staunton, Indiana. FROM JACK: What do you mean that Baptists aren't much into saints? How about Saint John, the Baptist?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do a lot of walking. St. Crispin is, from now on, my most favorite Saint. That was a really interesting entry on your blog.
S.H. in MI