Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Winning Words 10/20/10
“Since the house is on fire, let us warm ourselves.” (Italian Proverb) There are times when we can do nothing else, except to make the best of a bad situation. As I think back in my life, I can remember “bad” events that turned into “good” ones. Perhaps it’s happened to you. “No pain; no gain,” as the saying goes. I’ve found that a positive attitude and a new vision can work wonders. ;-) Jack

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Not bad. Caught my eye! FROM JACK: I hope it caught your brain, too.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: That quote is hilarious...I love it. Regarding bad events that turned into good things...I'm sure that happened in my life too, if only I had the memory to recall it. FROM JACK: It's either called selective memory or old age.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: IF THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE, WHY NOT WORK TO PUT IT OUT? The proverb is stupid as far as I am concerned....smacks of Stoicism. FROM JACK: You know me....an old Stoic, at heart. The proverb, on the face of it, is about houses, but it can be applied to other situations, as well.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: This is quite poignant for me at the moment. Did you select this one with me in mind? FROM JACK: I'm sorry to hear about your "situation." After a period of time, you will look back and....... Hopefully, you will be able to look back and say, "I'm better because of what happened."

FROM MOLINER CF: I don't think the Italians carried it far enough. Why not have a "Weenie roast" and get some real good out of that fire. Moral: Don't settle for just "one good" out of the bad. How's that for positive thinking? FROM JACK: As the saying goes, "What floats your boat...." I never could understand that saying, but it probably is a good response to your comment.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Rabbi Berel Wein, Friday October 8, 2010, in his weekly parsha "The true test of spiritual leadership is what happens after one's dreaded disappointments have proven to have been accurate." Maybe the question is do we want some portion of a burned-up house to live in or do we want to build again on the old foundation? Does the concrete foundation ever burn up? There's quite a lot about houses I don't know about. Or about Stoicism either. FROM JACK: Some buildings aren't worth saving, but it's not the same with people....at least in God's mind. You can Google "stoicism" and decide if you are a Stoic.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It's hilarious. I would think someone would call the fire department at the very least. But yes, many times, if not all my "bad events" have turned out for the better. Even the very sad ones...losing my parents, etc. Sad for me but much better for them. FROM JACK: Our understanding would be better, if we could see the really and truly broad picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rabbi Berel Wein, Friday October 8, 2010, in his weekly parsha "The true test of spiritual leadership is what happens after one's dreaded disappointments have proven to have been accurate." Maybe the question is do we want some portion of a burned-up house to live in or do we want to build again on the old foundation? Does the concrete foundation ever burn up? There's quite a lot about houses I don't know about. Or about Stoicism either.
S.H. in MI