Thursday, October 14, 2010

Winning Words 1014/10
“Charity looks at the need, not the cause.” (German Proverb) I think most would have no problem defining, charity, but one definition we might overlook is: “leniency in judging others.” For example, “Be charitable.” As he leaves the ballpark, grandson John often puts some money in the begging man’s cup, with no judgment. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Amen! Thanks and Amen again!!! People need a hand up not a handout. FROM JACK: You're right. However, I think that the word, handout, has a negative connotation. Sometimes it's necessary to just give something to one who is in need. Having said that, I've noticed that there are some people (who are not needy) who continually look for handouts. Such is life.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: It's an admirable trait in a young person, to recognize the plight of others in need and voluntarily come to their aid. At Boston's busy intersections we often find men with their signboards seeking help during these hard times. I know people have various reasons to not give them a dime, but I always admire some who roll down the window and hand them a buck. For myself, two thoughts come to mind: "Inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these my brothers, you have done it unto me" and "There but for the grace of God go I." FROM JACK: In most instances we are to set an example for our children (and grandchildren). In this instance, my grandson sets an example for me.

FROM LK IN OHIO: I judge, and then immediately forgive, putting money in the cup, too, thinking that it could as well be me, were it not for God's grace. FROM JACK: We take so many things for granted...our health, our family and friends, and the money in our pocket.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: john's been taught well. FROM JACK: I wonder if it's a "kid" thing. some times we just do something because we feel like it.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: You certainly have to bear that proverb in mind when you serve the homeless...just help, don't judge the cause of their dilemma. Many times, of course, poor judgement enters in, but just as often outward circumstances play a big part. So many sad stories!! FROM JACK: Our Lutheran Church used to have a program where a pastor would be "dumped" on Skid Row in Chicago, dressed in ragged clothes, with no money and no I.D. He'd have to live on the streets for a week or more. I never had that experience, but if I had, I think that I would be less judgmental and more compassionate. How about a program like that for those who espouse ideas about dealing with poverty?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Thanks and Amen again!!! People need a hand up not a handout.
S.H. in MI