Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Winning Words 9/29/10
“One of the striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat only has nine lives.” (Mark Twain) I admire people like MT who can “hit the nail on the head” in a cogent way and make it relevant, too. His writing style was truly a gift, and I learned to appreciate it when I discovered “Tom Sawyer” and “Huckleberry Finn.” Later on, I found out that there was meaning hidden in his words. ;) Jack

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Humor is a wonderful way to get to the subtle truth. A long time ago when I was doing my student teaching in Davenport in 1948 and when teachers had to write their own units of study, my choice was Mark Twain and Casey at the Bat for my 8th grade class. By the way, how about the Rays clinching as playoff berth last night? FROM JACK: For humor, I liked The Ransom of Red Chief, too. I'm happy for the Devil Rays.
I wonder if you were there with your cow bell. I read that there were plenty of seats available.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: He truly was a gifted writer....not many like him anymore. I have read most if not all of his works and they were so extraordinarily different than most works. If you didn't concentrate you would miss his hidden humor. FROM JACK: ....and social statements, too. It's been said about division of the Bible into two testaments...."The new is in the old, concealed. The old is in the new, revealed."

No comments: