Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Winning Words 9/21/10
“Nothing is as far away as one minute ago.” (Jim Bishop) Bishop was a successful newspaper columnist and author. He dropped out of school after the eighth grade, but he never stopped learning. His comment here reminds us that the past is past, and there comes a time when we have to move on. Sometimes we ruminate (chew the cud) too much about the past…”If only…!” I’ll blog a poem about, “Tomorrow.” ;-) Jack

Tomorrow by Edgar Guest

He was going to be all that a mortal should be
Tomorrow.
No one should be kinder or braver than he
Tomorrow.
A friend who was troubled and weary he knew,
Who'd be glad of a lift and who needed it, too;
On him he would call and see what he could do
Tomorrow.

Each morning he stacked up the letters he'd write
Tomorrow.
And thought of the folks he would fill with delight
Tomorrow.
It was too bad, indeed, he was busy today,
And hadn't a minute to stop on his way;
More time he would have to give others, he'd say
Tomorrow.

The greatest of workers this man would have been
Tomorrow.
The world would have known him, had he ever seen
Tomorrow.
But the fact is he died and he faded from view,
And all that he left here when living was through
Was a mountain of things he intended to do
Tomorrow.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: That old Could've/Would've/Should've syndrome. I try very hard to say "It is what it is". Works most of the time!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I try never to want to relive a minute ago. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it hard. I love Guest...he was my mom's favorite. I bought her every book he wrote. I have them now. "Tomorrow" was one of my favorites! FROM JACK: I just finished reading a book, "90 Minutes In Heaven," in which the author tells of being pronounced dead after an auto accident and having a "heaven" experience before coming back to life. In that case he relives the experience by telling about it. I'm still pondering.

FROM MOLINER CF: Then, there's THIS side of it.
[ANNIE]
The sun'll come out Tomorrow Bet your bottom dollar That tomorrow There'll be sun!
Just thinkin' about Tomorrow Clears away the cobwebs, And the sorrow 'Til there's none!
When I'm stuck a day That's gray, And lonely, I just stick out my chin And Grin, And Say, Oh!
The sun'll come out Tomorrow So ya gotta hang on 'Til tomorrow Come what may
Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya Tomorrow! You're always A day A way!
FROM JACK: How about the Beatles' song, "Yesterday?"

FROM MOLINER MH: I liked your ww today because I try not to let yesterday or tomorrow take up too much of today. Mayo Clinic has a simple recipe for longevity I wanted to share with you: Their recipe: Have someone to love, something to do and something to look forward to. This guarantees a happy and hopefully long life. (hope none of these igredients are missing from your life.) FROM JACK: Mayo's recipe is a good one, even though some may demur, because they are "alone," or "feel worthless," and are trying to drive by "looking in the rearview mirror." We are not alone in this world, and there are things to do, and the car is miving forward.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I don't know...the DAYS fly by so fast, its almost hard to concentrate on the one day at a time! One MINUTE at a time? WHOA!

MORE FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I loved Jim Bishop's book, and will never forget his story about his son's Frog dying, or so they thought. Trying to console the little boy, he emptied his silver cigarette Box, and said they would bury him in that, wrapped in satin. They planned a service, dug a grave in the garden, and invited the neighbor kids...about that time the frog turned over, dove into his pool, and swam around. The boy looked up at his dad and said, "Let's kill him!" Priceless! Ha! I read a quote on anger you might want to use-- I loved it.
"Anyone can become angry, that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way---this is not easy. ~Aristotle Amen to that; a wise man!

FROM CA IN MICHIGAN: This one is for me. I tend to "chew the cud". Thanks. Agape', FROM JACK: I like that word, ruminate. It's one I don't use often, but I still like it.

FROM MOLINER MH: I liked your ww today because I try not to let yesterday or tomorrow take up too much of today. Mayo Clinic has a simple recipe for longevity I wanted to share with you: Their recipe: Have someone to love, something to do and something to look forward to. This guarantees a happy and hopefully long life. (hope none of these igredients are missing from your life.)

No comments: