Friday, September 17, 2010

Winning Words 9/17/10
“The road to success is always under construction; it is not always straight; and it is not always smooth.” (Lily Tomlin) I used a quote from Lily last Friday, too. She can be serious when she wants to be. I don’t think that success came easy for her. In fact, I think that all of us can attest to the fact that the road to success has its bumps, some u-turns and its share of orange barrels. Right? ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: There's no map for the road to success. Everyone has to find his/her own way. The question is...what is success? When I entered my career path I had a certain perception of what I had to do to be successful. Some of those "orange barrels" such as layoffs, financial concerns, and family responsibilities can change what we thought was important. At this time in my life I'm coasting down the road, satisfied with what I've accomplished, where I am, and what I'll leave behind. However, where I hope to travel has nothing to do with what I've done, it's a matter of grace, and my Lord will decide if I succeed through the gate. FROM JACK: More and more people are relying on a GPS to tell them where to go. The GPS is a tool, but I'm glad that I learned to read maps and how to have a sense of direction. For me, to learn and to apply is a measure of success.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: However, there are times when the converse is true. When you expect bumps and road construction but find the journey very pleasant. I guess you have to learn to be content in any situation FROM JACK: True. But we must not text while driving (or do other distracting things), lest we be unprepared for the unexpected. My daughter was driving on a clear highway when a driver entered from a sideroad without stopping. My daughter's alertness to take evasive action prevented a serious accident.

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: I think that the Orange barrels and never ending road repair in this great state of Michigan is a testament that the construction industry has been successful in establishing job security for building/ repairing roads. Seems to me that the average is about 6 years until that brand new road is in need of those pretty barrels decorating it again. FROM JACK: It seems to me that 6 years is about right. That's much better than the "personal" road which needs daily maintenance. Without such repair, that road can become pretty bumpy.

FROM MOLINER CF: ...and lots of forks. FROM JACK: I like what's said in the Sermon on the Mount: "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: There were as many valleys as there were hills in my life. But I can tell you the work it took to get through the valleys and up to the summits were well worth the view! FROM JACK: "Hooray, though he leads me through the valleys, I will fear no evil, for he is with me always."

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: I don't know of one man who started a business without setbacks. They just make you stronger. Lily was quite the switchboard operator. FROM JACK: I read that Thomas Edison had 2,998 failures before he perfected the light bulb. Talk about a bumpy road!

FROM NL IN INDIANAPOLIS: TRUE: I KNOW.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: what exactly is success?? FROM JACK: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. FROM JACK: Some pastors angle to get a "plum" of a call, only to find out later that it was a "prune."

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: The road to success can be very bumpy! This reminds me of the epitaph on Mrs. Billy (Ruth) Graham's tombstone at his Library Center garden, landscaped in the shape of a cross, and she is laid to rest at the foot of the cross.) It gives her name, dates of birth and death, and underneath are the words
"End of Construction...thank you for your patience." It has her typical sense of wry humor. She was an extraordinary woman! FROM JACK: I don't see many epitaphs on tombstones anymore. Have you given any thought to what you want on yours? MORE FROM MO: YES! "ONE DAY MY LIFE WILL END, AND IF SOME WHIM WOULD PROMPT YOU TO REVIEW IT,
LET HER WHO KNEW THE SUBJECT BEST TELL YOU THE SIMPLEST WAY TO DO IT.
THEN SAY: HERE LIES ONE DOUBLY BLESSED. SAY: SHE WAS HAPPY SAY: SHE KNEW IT.
I've had a happy, blessed life, and I know it!!! And I am thankful!!!

FROM INDY GENIE: Edith Ann's reply to these WW's would be "and that's the truth"

FROM PRAW IN ILLINOIS: Hi Jack...your WW reminds me of a time when Judy and I were going to our local Sr. Center for lunch on weekdays. One of the regular guests was Howard, a 91 yr old man who would sit there quietly, enjoy his meal, and then his son would pick him up. One day I said to him: "Howard, what did you do this morning? He replied, "Nothing, and when I go home,I'm going to finish it!"
Now there's a Sr. citizen who knows how to enjoy life.

No comments: