Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Winning Words 9/1/30
“Deus caritas est.” (1 John 4:8) “God is love,” is the translation. It wasn’t until I got into college that I took a year of Latin. The professor was good, and what I learned has helped me to understand other things, besides Latin. “Caritas” is the Latin word for divine love, contrasted with “amore,” which is human love. If you get the chance, Google the reference, 1 John 4:8, for the real translation. ;-) Jack

ORE LATIN FROM JACK: alis grave nil nothing [is] heavy with wings Or "nothing is heavy to those who have wings".

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Verits Vos Liberarbit FROM JACK: What is truth? MORE FROM JON: Sorry it is VERITAS VOS LIBERABIT had one too many “r’s” Had to go look at one of my carved in stone sayings. FROM JACK: Truth is admitting a mistake.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Nice, thank you FROM JACK: You are probably reading this on "company time." neglegenter operor!

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: I was required to take two years of Latin in high school. It really helped me become a better writer and gave me a better understanding of the English language since so many of our words have a Latin origin. I had a very good teacher as well. FROM JACK: A friend of mine has the Latin words, "ANCORA IMPARO" etched in a stone which is in the brick wall by his garage door. The translation is: "I am still learning." I try to make that my motto, too.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: Sister Caritas taught chemistry in the high school I attended. We studied Latin for three years and I studied for another year in college. I am a fairly good speller because of those classes. FROM JACK: "Caritas," what a nice name. Do the nuns get to pick their own names, or are they assigned?

FROM INDY GENIE: My mom insisted that we all take Latin in high school....she loved Latin. I'm with you, I've benefited from those Latin classes in many ways. Once again, mom knew what she was doing! FROM JACK: Mom's know best! ...usually.

No comments: