Friday, August 06, 2010

Winning Words 8/6/10
“Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.” (Shakespeare) These words are from the play, All’s Well that Ends Well, and were written over 400 years ago. Times may change, but truth does not. This particular quote is listed among the top five from Shakespeare’s works. Do you think that you can name the other four? BTW, my computer says that I’ve used this quote before. I can’t remember. ;-) Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GS: Circumstances change in 400 years, but people's behavior doesn't. FROM JACK: But truth remains the same, or does it? As Pilate asked, "What is truth?"

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: I can not name the other four, without researching it. Often your WW's compel me to look into and ponder. You do your job well. FROM JACK: My source says: a) Friendship is constant; b) Love is blind; c) We know not what we are; d) Cowards die many times. Each one of them could be on my list of Winning Words...and Shakespeare has many more. Thanks for your constant friendship.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Thanks for jogging my memory so early in the morning. Thanks for all of the WW, too. The only one that pops into my mind is "to thine self be true." Even though I was an English major and teacher in the past, I haven't been reading the classics lately, An outstanding memory was seeing Macbeth at Elsinore, the setting for the drama, outside of Copenhagen with Richard Burton and Claire Bloom in l954. Right now my light reading includes Florida writer Carl Hiaasen(a favorite isTourist Season) and also Three Cups of Tea. FROM JACK: See the blog for the "four," but I think that your choice should be on the list. We have the Stratford Theatre in Ontario (across the river) where WS lovers can regularly enjoy his plays.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Just got back from Shipshewana with three of my friends. We stayed at a Bed and Breakfast and one of the hostesses was an Amish woman by the name of Miriam. Most of this quote would pertain to the Amish and Mennonites; I'm not so sure of the "trust a few" part. (As for the Shakespeare quotes..."Out, out damned spot" would be a good one. FROM JACK: Shipshewana is a favorite spot to visit, although we've never stayed overnight. I like to watch the auctions. Did WS have a dog named, Spot?

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: "to be or not to be...that is the question." "a rose by any other name would smell so sweet." FROM JACK: I like yours better than what the top ones listed.

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him well! I think this is one of the best-known quotes. It goes well with "Dust you are and to dust you will return" from the Bible. Neither is as well-known as "To be or not to be." I wonder if half the populace knows the difference between biblical and Shakespearean quotes!
FROM JACK: To know the source is good. To know the quote is better. To know the meaning is best.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I haven';t seen the Shakespeare quote before, but I am a fairly new reader...about a year now, isn't? This quote seems very Biblical! You can imagine Jesus teaching such truths... FROM JACK: I can imagine that Jesus taught many things that are not recorded in the Bible. See John 21:25.

No comments: