Thursday, August 12, 2010

Winning Words 8/12/10
“I used to believe that anything was better than nothing. Now I know that sometimes nothing is better.” (Glenda Jackson) When I first read these words, I was compelled to look at the background. Movie star Glenda came from the English working class and is known for being outspoken. Life has not always been easy for her, but she has made some pretty good adjustments. Good advice! ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: A perfect example of this quote relates to the development of vacant land. Driving along most of our roads is testimony to that. FROM JACK: Thanks for the good observation. The city of Detroit is considering removing dilapidated structures and returning the property to farmland. It's another kind of urban renewal.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I just watched a DVD "Urban Farmer" about people in New York City planting urban gardens to help the local citizens have the communities they can live in better. People in all the major cities seem to be doing this kind of thing. I'm just concerned that the grass-roots of the people have the most say and urban farming doesn't get co-opted by monied interests. People with money aren't always better at doing things than people with limited resources but who have a much better and more democratic and empowering vision. What is needed is the right kind of friends with money, the kind who don't actually love money more than people. And also God's creation. FROM JACK: Well, you and your friends are doing something about the situation by developing a garden next to your suburban church and giving the food to the needy. GOOD!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We all know and remember: it's the little things in life which make us the happiest. It is very true! True moments of utter happiness come from the things we cannot buy. So sometimes nothing is better! Nothing money can buy anyway. I'm sure your bloggers will come up with many many things which are considered "nothing" but simply pure happiness. FROM JACK: What is nothing? I guess that a nothing is a something, too.

FROM MOLINER CF: I was sad that I had no friends until I met a man who had no money. FROM JACK: Yes, it's clever. The reality: People without friends, without money, without health, without hope, without anything make me sad. There's an old hymn with a line that goes: "Without money, without money, come to Jesus Christ and buy." I had an uncle who used to refer to it as The Depression Hymn.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Does she mean to say, "just anything" is not better than nothing? I suppose so, and that would probably be true, but usually something IS better than nothing, in my humble opinion. But what do I know??! FROM JACK: The bloggers have made some interesting comments which have caused me to think in new directions. However, I still hold to the idea that nothing would be better than some things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just watched a DVD "Urban Farmer" about people in New York City planting urban gardens to help the local citizens have the communities they can live in better. People in all the major cities seem to be doing this kind of thing. I'm just concerned that the grass-roots of the people have the most say and urban farming doesn't get co-opted by monied interests. People with money aren't always better at doing things than people with limited resources but who have a much better and more democratic and empowering vision. What is needed is the right kind of friends with money, the kind who don't actually love money more than people.
And also God's creation.
S.H. in MI