Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Winning Words 6/8/10
“Nobody’s perfect.” (Armando Galarraga) He was commenting on the umpire’s wrong call that cost him the chance to pitch a perfect baseball game. He went on to say, “Inside my heart, I don’t have any problem.” After the game his father called from Venezuela to say how proud he was of his son. AG says his father taught him how to react to unfair situations. It may not go down as a perfect game, but his response was perfect ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: This baseball incident, leaving Galarraga out of the record books as a perfect-game pitcher, is an example of just how lopsided history can be. History certainly isn't perfect either. FROM JACK: Here's one I came across recently..."God cannot alter the past, but historians can." (Samuel Butler)

FROM RP IN MICHIGAN: Sometimes I think of myself as a Perfect Imperfection. FROM JACK: St. Paul put it this way: "I am the chief of sinners." Humility isn't a bad trait.

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Wow. FROM JACK: Sometimes you win by losing.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I seem to remember Pastor M R saying once "err on the side of mercy if you're going to make a judgment". All those sports figures talking about God, praying in a huddle, wearing a cross, crossing themselves, etc., etc., etc. this was maybe an example in the face of strong temptation to react differently when you're hurt. People celebrate sports winning so strongly, but actually his example has made sports more relevant and worthwhile talking about in my opinion. FROM JACK: Grace is good.

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: It was exciting to watch, indeed his response was not typical for this day in baseball. I hope he pitches well tonight. FROM JACK: I especially liked his smile after the call. It reminded me of the song, "Smile."

Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: Amen! FROM JACK: One of the definitions of Amen is, "I agree with that." I do.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: What a perfect role model he is, not only for young people today, but for many others who complain about almost everything. FROM JACK: One, a role model for ballplayers; the other, a role model for umpires; both are role models for how to handle adversity.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: You know how much I agree with this whole story! FROM JACK: I can surmise, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

FROM MOLINER CF: The only one who knows it wasn't a "perfect game" is the record book. Everybody else knows it was! Probably the most memorable perfect game in baseball history. FROM JACK: When I saw it as it happened, I was disappointed. In retrospect, it was one of the best games I witnessed, because of what happened afterward.

FROFROM LIZ IN ILLINOIS: Whoa. He's a "bigger man" than I! I'd be suing the baseball commission. When the umpire admits he made a mistake & there is precedent for using instant replay (apparently it was used one other time previously) why should the pitcher not be in the record books? I guess this is what happens in a country like Venezuela-- you do what you're told (by the government), whether it's right or wrong. There is opportunity to rectify this situation, and the baseball commission should do it without anyone's having to go to court. He was robbed! FROM JACK: What's the deal about Venezuela? It's simply about a father who calls up and says, "I'm proud of you, son!" I admire a dad like that, from whatever country he comes. And what are record books? They're not perfect either. Part of the reason I liked to play sports is because of imperfection. Players make errors. Managers make errors, and so do umpires. The "incident" ultimately was about character...and the pitcher, his father and the umpire were winners.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: amen, Amen He should be in the record book as the only pitcher to pitch a perfect game and got 28 players out FROM JACK: They've already sent "the first base, the ball, and Galaraga's cleats to Cooperstown.

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: this will make a great sermon illustration on the power of forgiveness!! FROM JACK: Certain sermons still need to be preached.

FROM PRFM IN WISCONSIN: What a great choice for today, John! ! ! ! I hope and wish your comment/reflection would make it into the national news! Any ideas how we could accomplish it FROM JACK: The current NEWSWEEK, received today, has a good lead article on it.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: His response WAS perfect! It would certainly take a man of character and well grounded in his priorities, to be as gracious as he was in that situation!! A good role model for all of us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember Pastor Rothgery saying once "err on the side of mercy if you're going to make a judgment". All those sports figures talking about God, praying in a huddle, wearing a cross, crossing themselves, etc., etc., etc. this was maybe an example in the face of strong temptation to react differently when you're hurt. People celebrate sports winning so strongly, but actually his example has made sports more relevant and worthwhile talking about in my opinion.
S.H. in MI