Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Winning Words 6/23/10
“If there’s one thing we all better get used to, it’s the certainty of uncertainty.” (Evan Newmark in the WSJ) This quote was sent to me by someone who’s in the financial planning business. Talk about living with uncertainty! However we all live in an uncertain world, with surprises around every corner. Proverbs 27:1 says, “Don’t brag about your plans for tomorrow—wait and see what happens.” ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Newmark's words are akin to Heraclitus's familiar words..."The only constant in life is change." The thought behind both expessions assures us that life will always be interesting. FROM JACK: ...if you enjoy living on the edge. A followup quote from the weeping philosopher is: "You can't step into the same river twice."

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: The challenge is what do we do with all this certainty of uncertainty. I always feel the very strong temptation to hang back, put up a wall separating me from the outside uncertainty and try to make my own sense of reality the biggest certainty. When other people do this, one can see it's so unwise. Harder to see what's wrong with me myself doing it. FROM JACK: It reminds me of the words of St. Paul: "The good that I would, I do not. The evil that I would not, that I do."

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: And the CERTAINTY of God's love and power remain in the midst of our uncertainties. And on that solid rock we can stand. FROM JACK: It sounds as though you're positive about that.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Makes life exciting doesn't it? FROM JACK: Exciting is one word; there are others.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: We are only secure as our ability to handle insecurity. J Douglas Edwards. FROM JACK: Is that the Douglas Edward who used to do the CBS TV news?

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Reminds me of a saying that went something like: "Make your plans, and hear God laugh"...WE DO live in an uncertain world. I suppose every age has felt this way, but our lifetime seems pretty chaotic, historically. Of course it is the age of miracles, too. What would our grandparents have thought about the things available to us today??! Well, we cling to the Certainty of a loving God! FROM JACK: I wonder what it will be like in the future when our grandchildren ask the same question you are asking.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Is your knowledge of Scripture gained from years of study or research for this project?
FROM JACK: I learned an older version, "Fret not thyself about the morrow, for thou knowest not what the day may bring. I also like Proverbs 26:11.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The challenge is what do we do with all this certainty of uncertainty. I always feel the very strong temptation to hang back, put up a wall separating me from the outside uncertainty and try to make my own sense of reality the biggest certainty. When other people do this, one can see it's so unwise. Harder to see what's wrong with me myself doing it.
S.H. in MI