Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Winning Words 5/4/10
“I’ve learned that I still have a lot to learn.” (Maya Angelou – sent by JD) MA recently celebrated her 70+ birthday. An old Dutch adage says that we get old too soon and smart too late. “Experts” say that the effects of aging can be slowed by keeping an active mind. I hope that “Winning Words” does that for me, along with participation in various community organizations and projects. What’s your secret? ;-) Jack

FROM SF IN MICHIGAN: In addition to keeping an active mind and body, my secret is hanging with loving family and friends who are generous of self and supportive and, of course, smart and fun! It's all about the people with whom I choose to surround myself! FROM JACK: Your kindle helps, too, doesn't it?

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: Reading and listening to the thoughts of much brighter people than me!
FROM JACK: Those are good suggestions.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: maya is one of my sheroes. she literally saved my life when sorrow seemed too painful to want to continue. my secret to an active mind is the daily presence of children. if you snooze...you really lose! FROM JACK: Sheroes...I like it.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Always meeting new teachers. I don't seem to have much to do with that, Someone Else seems to put them in my way and I either have to learn and grow or not. I do believe it's these new teachers who keep me "contemporary" and younger than I would be on my own, and not bound by the past. Though tomorrow may be a different story. FROM JACK: I'm thankful the the teachers who jarred me from my complacency

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: ...the inner city Baltimore Shepherd's Clinic, three days weekly....as a volunteer Chaplain.....most weeks....... FROM JACK: You're never too old to be a volunteer.

FROM MOLINER CF: I let my mind wander and then try to figure it out. It sometimes leads to something
constructive. But always interesting. FROM JACK: I read an article this week written by a manager, "Management By Wandering Around."

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Bless You! The Lord just spoke something to me on the way to work that seems to fit into my 'big picture'. "Reconciliation involves being willing to accepting a fresh view on whatever is holding you back from prospering today." Obviously, this refers to forgiveness and thankfulness but it hints at something more for me. I realized that I viewed 'reconciliation' as more of band-aid, or patch to plug leaks in my past. Too many times I think of person and gage my response on past experiences, or think of song on the radio and compare it to when I had heard it performed live. God is all about making the sunrise even better than yesterday & friendships even sweeter over time. Literally - yesterday does not matter. The question is how will God reconcile me to the life He has given me in wonderful way right now, or in the next ten minutes? FROM JACK: The Big Teacher even gives us lessons when we're on our way to work.

FROM ML IN MICHIGAN: My mother used to say some people live and learn and others just live. FROM JACK: A good thought as Mother's Day approaches. Moms can be good teachers.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: you do an excellent job with this "rag", even when I disagree w/ you. Have a blessed day. FROM JACK: As I wrote yesterday....We learn when we listen to more than just our side.

FROM PB IN CT: I have just read "The Universe in a Single Atom" by The Dalai Lama - - Truly a fascinating experience. He deals with a subject that has intrigued me for the better part of a hundred years, namely the relationship between science and spirituality. While the contents of 200 pages can not be summed up in a single sentence, perhaps this phrase from the Prologue might whet the appetite of readers who share a similar intrigue. "... spirituality and science are different but complementary approaches with the same greater goal, of seeking the truth." FROM JACK: The Dalai Lama was in our area a few years ago, and I went to hear him, walking through protestors. I'm always looking for new ideas or "stuff" to measure against my ideas. The thought that relion and science are polar opposites really turns me off.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I LOVE Maya Angelou. I taught her book I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS to my 8th grade advanced literature class. It always packed a wallop as most of these students were affluent, and had very little contact with other races. I've read all of her books. That's one way to stay young...avidly read a great variety of books. Also, as you say keeping active in church and community. I presented my first program today, without my dear twin, to the Woman's Club annual Spring luncheon. Thankfully, it went very well, but I sure missed Jan at my side! I titled it 1000 UNFORGETTABLE SENIOR MOMENTS (Of which I remember just a few...) Humorous , of course. Mostly Faux Pas's of famous people, but of few of my own as well,. Ha! Senior moments are no respecter of class or intelligence, famous or infamous OR ordinary people. :-) I think your sharing of Winning words is a great service on your part. I think we all look forward to this!!
FROM JACK: Did your program manage to get on U-Tube? As far as teaching students, in my working life I enjoyed teaching confirmation classes, 7th, 8th and 9th, one after another. Each grade was different because of the level of maturity.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Newspapers, Christian Century, Necrology in the Lutheran, Rogness & CSLewis'Daily Devotionals, Alaska, Flight Journal & Smthsonian magazines & a few books such as Nuernberg & George Carlin. FROM JACK: That should keep you out of mischief.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always meeting new teachers. I don't seem to have much to do with that, Someone Else seems to put them in my way and I either have to learn and grow or not. I do believe it's these new teachers who keep me "contemporary" and younger than I would be on my own, and not bound by the past. Though tomorrow may be a different story.
S.H. in MI