Friday, April 30, 2010

Winning Words 4/30/10
“Honk if you love Jesus; text while driving if you want to meet him.” (Bumper Sticker – sent by PH) Here in Michigan, a law banning texting while driving is being considered. A ban on smoking in public places goes into effect tomorrow. Wearing helmets is mandatory for motorcyclists. Whenever a law is enacted, some are “fer” it, and others are “agin” it. I have a friend who’s a Libertarian. I’m not. ;-) Jack

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: I am "fer" the smoking and texting ban, on the other hand motorcycle riders without helmets make good organ donors. FROM JACK: I saw that a state (I think it was NY) was proposing that all residents are required to be organ donors. Does that mean all residents will be required to ride motorcycles? MORE FROM MF: You have got the beginnings of a science fiction movie of the future where
the bad guys conspire to create a new black market for live organs, with the governments help, you will be worth more dead, and at the same time will be helping the new health care program. FROM JACK: On a more positive note, go to yesterday's BLOG and read the response from Paige.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: I noticed something funny the other day. Now that we have more laws being enacted that prescribe what is correct & what is not, I have perceived a tendency to be more judgmental with less unconditional love. Reminds me of how the law causes sin to rise up as discussed in Romans 5:20. I believe that we are entering a time of great healing - But I find the current season to be a challenge for maintaining faith. FROM JACK: The Ten Commandments have been called by some, The Ten Suggestions. The question becomes, Whose command are they? and Who does the enforcing? and Who interprets the meaning and the value of each?

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I wear a seat belt without objection. It keeps me from having to walk back to the scence of the accident. FROM JACK: Laws with an enforced penalty seem to work. I remember buying a new car, when seat belts had to be ordered as an option. We ordered them.

FROM NL IN FL OR IN: That's Funny Jack. FROM JACK: But accidents, causing fatalities or serious injuries because of carelessless are nothing to laugh at.

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: I'm boggled that the law is even necessary. Common sense seems to be in short supply these days. FROM JACK: Lots of stuff boggles my mind.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I enjoy bumper sticker messages and that's a good one. My single satisfaction sitting at a stop light is reading the bumper stickers ahead of me. There is something about everything exhibited there...I wonder how much the bumper sticker industry contributes to the economy. FROM JACK: I have a daily calendar, "The Year's Best Bumper Stickers." One of them reads: "The TRUTH will set you free, but first it will piss you off."

FROM GUSTIE MN: Count me as against the law. I don't like the government controlling everything we do--most of those laws are just common sense and if people are dumb enough to do it--as long as they don't hurt someone else in the process--they deserve what they get! I don't know how on earth my kids ever grew up. The crib they used had been my husband's, no seatbelts in the cars, the toys must have had several things on them that are now outlawed! I had a crib mattress in the back end of the station wagon on long trips and
the kids would just crawl back there and take a nap if they were tired. Oh well! FROM JACK: I'm glad that food and drug producers have to follow the law. I'm glad that my children and grandchildren live in a time when there are laws for their own protection. I'm glad I don't have to go into a place and breathe someone else's smoke. Oh well!

FROM HAWKEYE GS: Your WW is always good for a laugh or thought. FROM JACK: ...or both!

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I'm ticked off that the tobacco companies doctored the cigarettes in the first place to get them to be more addictive. Can we get the government to make some laws against corporations doctoring our food, beverages, and cigarettes? How come it's always the individuals who get the brunt of the laws? Probably because we don't have any lobbyists working for us. FROM JACK: Do you remember this?

Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette


Now I'm a feller with a heart of gold
And the ways of a gentleman I've been told
The kind of guy that wouldn't even harm a flea

But if me and a certain character met
The guy that invented the cigarette
I'd murder that son-of-a-gun in the first degree

It ain't cuz I don't smoke myself
And I don't reckon that it'll harm your health
Smoked all my life and I ain't dead yet

But nicotine slaves are all the same
At a pettin' party or a poker game
Everything gotta stop while they have a cigarette

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
Puff, puff, puff and if you smoke yourself to death

Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hate to make him wait
But you just gotta have another cigarette

Now in a game of chance the other night
Old Dame Fortune was a-doin' me right
The kings and the queens just kept on comin' round

And I got a full and I bet 'em high
But my bluff didn't work on a certain guy
He just kept on raisin' and layin' that money down

Now he'd raise me and I'd raise him
I sweated blood, gotta sink or swim
He finally called and didn't even raise the bet

So I said "aces full Pops how 'bout you?"
He said "I'll tell you in a minute or two
But right now, I gotta have me a cigarette"

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
Puff, puff, puff and if you smoke yourself to death

Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hates to make him wait
But you just gotta have another cigarette

(Ah, smoke it! Hah! Yes! Yes! Yes!)

The other night I had a date
With the cutest little girl in the United States
A high-bred, uptown, fancy little dame

She loved me and it seemed to me
That things were 'bout like they oughta be
So hand in hand we strolled down lover's lane

She was oh so far from a cake of ice
And our smoochin' party was goin' nice
So help me cats I believe I'd be there yet

But I give her a kiss and a little squeeze
And she said, "ah, Marty, excuse me please
I just gotta have me another, cigarette"

And she said, smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
Puff, puff, puff and if you smoke yourself to death

Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hate to make him wait
But you just gotta have another cigarette

FROM LIZ IN ILLINOIS: Although I am one of your Libertarian friends (I hope!) the sensible Libertarian recognizes that there have to be certain laws for the safety of everyone. "My rights end where yours begin" is the rule. Everyone is free to text. Just don't risk my life while you're doing it. Helmet laws? My friend's dad was a neurosurgeon
who said, "Spread what brains you have all over the pavement, if you like. Just don't call me in the middle of the night to try to put you back together again if you weren't wearing a helmet." FROM JACK: A partial Libertarian?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Someone people don't like "Banning" laws of any kind. However, I find a large majority of people Need laws because they don't have common sense. I like my freedoms but I don't like texting while driving or smoke in my face when I'm out to dinner. Helmets....well, I don't ride motorcycles but I know people who didn't survive minor accidents....so.. As for you not being Libertarian... I'm sure your friend is praying for your healing. LOLOL FROM JACK: My Liber-publican friend knows that I will never change...even with offering prayers.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: I'm sharing this with my friends who drive. Thanks!

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Clever quote! And true! It is a law in IL (recent) that you can't text while driving. Don't know how they will ever enforce it, but at least they can try. We've had no smoking ANYWHERE for a couple of years. It's been hard on smokers, but heavenly to those who have asthma, etc. FROM JACK: When I was growing up The Moline Dispatch comics page would have something called, "It's The Law!" and each day some strange law would be featured. For example, in Bexley, Ohio, it's against the law to have slot machines in outhouses.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Funny! P.U.! My husband preached a sermon on that topic one time, using ridiculous laws still on the books. In Macomb, IL it is against the law for a car to impersonate a wolf! in Atlanta GA, you can't tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or a street light! It is against the law in Chicago, IL to eat in a restaurant that is on fire...It's illegal to catch fish, while on horseback in Washington, D.C. ,Anyone found under a sidewalk in Florida, is guilty of disorderly conduct! It's against the law in Kentucky to marry the same man/woman four times. (good grief) and horrors! In in Hartford, CT it's illegal to kiss your wife on Sunday!! And on and on...There is a fun game we have called It's the Law, and one has to discern if the ridiculous law presented is indeed a law or is false.

FROM DS IN MICHIGAN: I really do love this – will forward to our Exec. Board and a few Moms on our list.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm ticked off that the tobacco companies doctored the cigarettes in the first place to get them to be more addictive. Can we get the government to make some laws against corporations doctoring our food, beverages, and cigarettes? How come it's always the individuals who get the brunt of the laws? Probably because we don't have any lobbyists working for us.
S.H. in MI