Friday, April 02, 2010

Winning Words 4/2/10
“When you hear music today, think how nifty God was to invent it.” (Wally Armbruster) I like many kinds of music, from symphonies to Steve Martin playing the banjo. I recently bought a Robert Shaw Chorale CD of patriotic songs for 75 cents on Half.com. Do you have a favorite piece of music that you can bring to mind right now? What might that be? ;-) Jack
MORE FROM JACK: One of my favorite Good Friday hymns is, Were You There?

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I always feel better after listening to the words and music of "You'll
never walk alone."
"...though your dreams be tossed and blown,
walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,
and you'll never walk alone..."
FROM JACK: That's a favorite of mine, too...Right up there with Steve Martin's banjo music. MORE FROM RI: Regarding Steve M, I prefer his goofy humor over his banjo music.
AND MORE FROM JACK: In his early days, the banjo was a prop for his humor. Either you like banjo music, or you don't. RI FOLLOW-UP: Yeah, you're right about that. When I was a kid my father was friends with a fellow who played, and the man was known as "Banjo" Schroeder.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Speaking of music. My Beckridge Chorale (formerly Plymouth Community Chorus) is having it's spring concert the weekend of April 17-18 at the Cherry Hill Theater in Canton. A Tribute to Frank Sinatra. Should be fun.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: THINE IS THE GLORY....theme song for the 1948 World Council of Churches gathering....written in the 20th century....composer: G. F. Handel FROM JACK: E.E. Ryden says that it was written French by Edmond Budry and, indeed, the music was from Handel. It's a good one.

FROM A FORMER MSU FOOTBALL COACH, LB: Just a note to tell you how much I enjoy your WINNING WORDS"..I am not sure I ever sent you a copy of my book WINNING WORDS OF CHAMPIONS" FROM JACK: I do have your book, and it's autographed by you. I hope that you're enjoying retirement in Nick Sabin country.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: I wrote my first song last year, Seek the Holy Lamb. The music is from
Celtic Woman's piece, Green the Whole Year 'Round. I've asked David Downes for his
permission twice but haven's heard back. My song is copywrited.
SEEK THE HOLY LAMB Words by George Seaberg Music by David Downes
1. As I grew the sun would shine in all the whole day thru. Mother sang a lull-a-bye
to brighten a sunny day.
I had hope to be kept whole to chase away any blue, the one that please’d my heart the
most would be the Holy Lamb.
Chorus
Seek the Holy Lamb, Seek the Holy Lamb, when I have doubts, can’t find my way, I seek the
Holy Lamb.
2. When married life and children came and things got in the way, I take my time to
pray to you, be guided by you today. For I know when-ever I look for you you are easy to be found, as you come to me ‘neath my fav’rite place to seek the Holy Lamb.
Chorus
Seek the Holy Lamb, Seek the Holy Lamb, when I have doubts, can’t find my way, I seek the
Holy Lamb.
3. But the fam’lys grown and the days grow short and the au-tumn winds, they blow,
and the children turn to newer things as we sit at home alone. Mem-ries of other days come
tum-bling from the past to re-mind us, like the sea-sons do, that life goes by so fast.
4. The win-ter lays her fin-gers cold on dark and lone-ly nights, but Christ-mas, it
will soon be here to ush-er in Your Light. And when morn-ing breaks and the bells ring out, it is such a joy-ous sound to hear them ech-o in my heart to know the Holy Lamb.
Chorus
Seek the Holy Lamb, seek the Holy Lamb, when I have doubts, can’t find my way, I seek the
Holy Lamb.
Seek the Holy Lamb, seek the Holy Lamb, when I have doubts, can’t find my way, I seek the
Holy Lamb.
FROM JACK: I've listened to it, and I like it. Thanks for sending.

FROM ME IN CALIFORNIA: My Dad singing the “Tennessee Waltz” and John Fogarty’s "Centerfield”-which has the line, “Put me in coach, I’m ready to play.” You will likely get quite a list from these WW. FROM JACK: Those are two that I like alot.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I have many many songs I love. But I especially love the old hymns which no longer are in vogue...."How Great Thou Art", "Amazing Grace", "I Love to Tell the Story", and many many others. I love music and am deeply grateful God uses his people to write all different kinds of tunes and messages. BTW: Is there a CD with Steve Martin's banjo playing out? FROM JACK: I bought Steve Martin's CD the first day it went on sale.

FROM RM IN MICHIGAN: Kate Smith- God Bless America-

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I love the Holden Evening Prayer worship service. Least that's what I think it is called. With guitar. FROM JACK: Google Holden Village, Washington State.

FROM DS IN MICHIGAN ON EASTER SUNDAY: Today it is the Halleluiah chorus. Happy Easter

FROM PRFM IN WISCONSIN: read this on Easter Monday and reflected on the great Easter music we heard yesterday . . . especially that written by Wesley. Regarding music, I don't have a favorite . . . just thousands! What a great gift of God.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the Holden Evening Prayer worship service. Least that's what I think it is called. With guitar.
S.H. in MI