Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Winning Words 4/13/10
“Sometimes it’s very difficult to keep momentum if it’s you that you are following.” (Tim Rice – from “Evita”) I have a real appreciation for those who write lyrics. Praise usually goes to the composer of the music. The music of Jesus Christ, Superstar is great, but the lyrics give it meaning. The quote has to do with choosing someone to follow. Is there someone who has been an inspiration to you? ;-) Jack

FROM SG IN TAMPA: The women who went West in the covered wagons. FROM JACK: They fit the bill.

FROM MOLINER CF: Different people gave me different inspiration at different times. For instance, Corporal Bertelli "inspired" me at Boot Camp at Paris Island. FROM JACK: I wonder if you thought so at the time. Sometimes we have to be removed from our teachers by time in order to appreciate them. MORE FROM CF: At the time, I was intimidated to death. Thats the Boot Camp way and he was good at it. But I realized later that he was just trying to keep me alive.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Many, many people but especially all my pastors and also including one I've never met in person but read many of his books and get daily reflections from the Henri Nouwen Society, those who inspire me most are those that lead by example and by what they say the way to dying to the Lord and living to the Lord. People who risk decrease so others can increase and I seriously hope to be able to do that too

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I get most f my inspiration from the Bible. I keep thinking, if Jesus can use Peter to build His church, there must be hope for me. Peter was a very real person....flaws and all....but he still managed to keep the faith. I also had a very special Sunday School teacher named Elaine Woike who guided my path to how I am living today. And of course, my faithful and strong grandparents and parents. FROM JACK: Sunday School teachers are very important people. I'm glad that I had a chance to meet Elaine. What a fine and humble person she was.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: I have 2 gurus whose words I follow: Peter Drucker, deceased; and Dr. John Albright, orthopaedic surgeon who has stared at my knees for 30 years.....and many, many more.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: There have been, and are many, and the list would include Jack Freed both as a younger man, and his reemergence to me as a somewhat older man, with his Winning Words. Thank you for the inspiration on both sides of the age spectrum.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I don't know if you remember Mrs. Ray Honeywell, pastor's wife of First Methodist Church in Moline when we were growing up. Tyke Fisher, Pat Melin, Jan nd I and several others went to MYF there, and she was one of my first inspirations as a pastor's wife. Pretty, vivacious, song leader, made beautiful hats (!)...Also the Sr. pastor's wife of the church we served (Elgin First Baptist) while Bill went to Seminary in Chicago. Two pastoral icons for me. I loved being a pastor' wife! FROM JACK: Yes, I remember the Honeywells. Pat Tillberg's mother was like that, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many, many people but especially all my pastors and also including one I've never met in person but read many of his books and get daily reflections from the Henri Nouwen Society, those who inspire me most are those that lead by example and by what they say the way to dying to the Lord and living to the Lord. People who risk decrease so others can increase and I seriously hope to be able to do that too. Thanks, Pastor Freed, for still giving ministry your all albeit taking into account your changing physical condition and need for rest and probably not driving around so much.
S.H. in MI