Monday, April 12, 2010

Winning Words 4/12/10
“Not all those who wander are lost.” (J R Tolkien “Lord of the Rings”) A friend of mine occasionally sends pictures of interesting places he’s discovered in his wanderings, like the old Packard plant in Detroit. I once came across a sign in Canada: Stiff’s Funeral Home. Sometimes when I wander through Google, I find unexpected “treasures,” too. Let you mind wander today. ;-) Jack

MORE FROM JACK: Power is the engine which drives vision. Without the power to turn today's vision into tomorrow's reality, vision is nothing more than impotent daydreaming, weak wishful thinking. Frank Price

FROM SF IN MICHIGAN: Since my retirement, I wander often. Never before had the time. So free and light! FROM JACK: One of my favorite writers was Sydney J. Harris. He would sometimes write about "things I learned while looking up other things." The "busyness" of work has a way of keeping us from exploring things.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: just today? it would be much more of a challenge to ask my mind not to wander. (to be clear...i'm not asking for the challenge!) FROM JACK: Some call it day-dreaming. I call it, using your imagination.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We love old things...such as outhouse, barns, cemeteries, parks etc. And we love to travel, so many times we stop at strange but wonderful places to read what happened and to see the different barns, etc. I especially love to make my husband stop on the drop of a hat to take a photo of an old ouhouse. However, I, not my husband, get lost all the of time. I can't find my way out of a paper bag. Doesn't stop me from wandering though many times I have to call to find a way home. PS We also have passed a funeral home who has a sign out front.... "Now Showing"....Mr. Bob Smith FROM JACK: OJ, the happy wanderer.

FROM LH IN MICHIGAN: The funeral home name you mentioned reminded me of 2 others. Near one of my sons in Havertown, Pa. there's one called "Stretch Funeral Home". When I was growing up in Norristown, Pa. there was one, whose name just can't be topped: "Dunaway Funeral Home".

FROM AS IN MICHIGAN: Wouldn't have discovered beautiful Utah and Moab in my wanderings out West;and come to think about would have discovered beautiful Claudia either! FROM JACK: The happy wanderer.

No comments: