Monday, March 08, 2010

Winning Words 3/8/10
CELEBRATION…Today is the first time since knee surgery that I’ve been able to walk downstairs to the computer (unaided). “Worry is the darkroom where negatives are developed.” (Seen on a church sign) During my time offline, several people sent quotes to me. This week I’m going to use some of them as Winning Words. I can’t think of any positives that come from spending time worrying. Can you? ;-) Jack

FROM KZB IN COLORADO: I think God is trying to tell me NOT TO WORRY. I taught Sunday School yesterday, and guess what the lesson was? Do not worry about tomorrow... Sermon on the Mount lesson. It was incredible what 1st & 2nd graders had to say about what they worry about, and what they do to help themselves when they worry. It was a really meaningful morning - I think they were teaching me. Isn't it funny how it turns around? :-)
What 1st & 2nd graders worry about:
- Lightening & thunder storms
- My cat is getting old and I worry it will get sick
- Aliens
- Monsters
- My sister hurting me
- My dog dying
- What's in the dark in my room
- Nightmares
What they do to make themselves feel better:
- Talk to an adult/Mom/Dad
- Hug my stuffie
- Cuddle in the blankets
- Talk to a friend
- Pray
- Think about Christmas
- Sing a song
- Read a fun book
- Smell/look at flowers
- Play outside
- Take deep breaths
What we can learn from children!!!! :-)
FROM JACK: What a great response. Sunday School is for teachers, as well as children.

FROM LE IN MICHIGAN: I learned many many years ago that if worry changed a situation, it was okay to worry but if it didn't change anything then it is a waste of time and energy. Hard learned but important. FROM JACK: I learned that lesson, too. But, it seems that I need a refresher course from time to time.

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: Too bad it does not invoke weight loss. Not like you need that!

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: I am a world class worrier. I finally am coming to the realization that it is a complete waste of time. I read somewhere that it takes 30 days to break a habit. I am working on saying a little prayer each time I catch myself worrying-- God, I'm exhausted. May I turn this problem/concern over to you? Thanks. Amen. I just started it, but it's working. FROM JACK: One day is a start. Keep at it!

FROM SG IN TAMPA: It doesn't help to worry, just count your blessings. FROM JACK: I like the old song: Count your blessings, instead of sheep.

FROM ME IN CALIFORNIA: Generally agree. It does often show and express concern for others, which is a positive. FROM JACK: I knew I could count on someone for a fresh insight. A major problem with worry is that we usually focus in on self. I overlooked the fact that the caring person also worries about others.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: I wonder how many hours a week I could free up if I gave up worrying? FROM JACK: We could all benefit from that.

FROM JAN IN MICHIGAN: In my very-soon-to-be 75 years of experience, positives can come from worrying only if you immediately analyze why you're worrying and how you can better handle the situation, and then immediately handle it better. My most recent experience occurred during the past few days when I couldn't find necessary documents for my 2009 tax return. They had been in my possession, but I obviously mis-filed them and, thus, caused myself worry. I even invented a new word. It was a time of "stressure." My carelessness caused me to feel stress and pressure. FROM JACK: Now, you've given me something to worry about. I haven't started my taxes, yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the end of Bible study tonight, I lifted up a prayer that God would look into each of our hearts and help us with our fears (went along with our discussion) and confessed to God in the midst of everyone that I am a worrier. At the time I just felt like a crappy Christian, inferior to totally everyone because I was alone confessing. Later at home I prayed the heck out of myself some more and I believe and feel like God is now lifting worries off of me. Is it because He is more understanding and merciful or is it because some of those others also later lifted up prayers for me? I'll never really know but I do believe even being worried we should honestly tell others about and not try to pretend more courage than we actually have.
Peace,
Sharon