Monday, March 29, 2010

Winning Words 3/29/10
“Never cut what you can untie.” (Joseph Joubert) J.J. was a contemporary of Goethe. His quotes often make me say: “I agree with that.” For instance: “Children need examples, not critics.” Or, “The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.” And, “When my friends are one-eyed, I look at them in profile.” Words such as these really cause me to think. ;-) Jack

FROM SON DAVID: Too many WWs in one day, so I miss the meaning of all of them. FROM DAD: My mind is able to process more than one idea at a time. I wonder if that is genetic?

FROM SG IN TAMPA: All very good thoughts and ways to approach life. FROM JACK: That's why they're called, Winning Words.

FROM SH IN ILLINOIS: I love the one about the aim of argument or discussion. Too bad all those in Washington (and many of our fellow citizens) don't realize this.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: It's pretty obvious you do a lot of thinking. Keep it up.

FROM MOLINER CF: When these words cause you to think, do you think outside the box?

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I also often say about your WW, "I agree with that".

2 comments:

Suzanne Heronemus said...

I love the one about the aim of argument or discussion. Too bad all those in Washington (and many of our fellow citizens) don't realize this.

Anonymous said...

The first WW and the last WW have made me think the most today. Especially reflecting upon how few things we tie today, compared with Joubert's time and probably how many more people back then wore patches over their bad eyes as compared to today and still the WW strike a chord of common sensibility even taking them as referring to something non-literal. Thanks for making them available for reflection. Many of us would never have heard of them otherwise.
S.H. in MI